How big of a tank do I need?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I am currently in the planning stages of building my own plywood tank that is 300+ gallons, and am wanting some advice on how big I should make the tank, based on what will be going into it. Because of the space I have to fill I am thinking of a footprint something like 72-78"x 36-48". Below are the fish I have (or will have) in my growing out in my various smaller tanks, and if there is a size listed next to them, that is the size they currently are. If there are any on the list who really wont work together I can probably work it out so that they can stay in their current tank, or a smaller, big tank. I just would like to let as many as possible of the big fish be in the big tank!

1 Astronotus crassipinnis (smaller cousin of the Oscar -3in)
1 Pair Vieja synspilum (6in+)
1 female Carpintus (getting soon - 3in)??
5 Satanaperca Leucosticta (1in)
4 Orangespot Acaras (1-2in)??
5 Geophagus Altifrons
1 Pair Uaru
1 Hoplarchus psittacus
1 Heros Notatus
1 Paratiliapia Bleekeri
2-5 Paretroplus maculatus
1 Fire eel
School of pictus catfish??

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I haven't fully figured it out, and I am planning on getting the materials bit by bit, but I think the two main cost are the epoxy sealer, (if you use that method, but I plan on using pond liner, which is cheaper, and a can disassemble if need be) and the glass for the viewing pane, but I am trying to find someone with a big, busted tank to recycle some of the "unbusted" glass. I am probably not the best person to ask, since I haven't actually built it yet!

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
The main cost is going to be the wood and not the actual sealant. That much wood and nails will be by far the greatest cost. If I were to build a plywood I would use simple 2x4's and from their use fiber glass on the corners and pond armor as the sealant all around including the corners.

administrator

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2011
Make it as big as you can in terms of space and $$$. I never remember seeing one and saying to myself, wow that tank is way too big. LOL.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah, the space I have to fill up (I would kind of be creating a wall) is 81"x40" It is and odd size but I think it's be a good footprint. It's more space than my bantam chickens have in their coop!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store