Massivore and Cichlids?

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Hi All,

So I have a tank with an oscar, jack dempsey, vieja Syn., and endli bichir. I feed my cichlids Hikari bio gold but feed my bichir Massivore. Problem is when I feed massivore they go crazy and eat it up! (even after feeding them the biogold first!) Especially the JD. The endli still gets to eat but my question is it is ok for cichlids to have massivore on a daily basis? It has been impossible to avoid, otherwise I would.

Thanks guys!

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Massivore is high in protein, fine for bigger CA's that are more carnivorous. Not something I would feed an Oscar daily. Oscar needs some veg matter as a regular part of their intake.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Massivore is lu ke crack. Some harder to feed fish get stuck on it and won't eat other foods.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Massivore is high in protein, fine for bigger CA's that are more carnivorous. Not something I would feed an Oscar daily. Oscar needs some veg matter as a regular part of their intake.
Yeah I am going to have to go ahead and disagree. Oscars are carnivores, and most of their natural diet is insects on the surface of the water, other inverts or small fish. They will eat anything, but to much veggie can cause some issues. This is where a good quality pellet should be the main source of the diet. Massivore is good for them, but that shouldn't be the main source of food.
The JD is a pure omnivore so should have a good balance of meaty and veggie based foods. The syn should have more veggie, but some meaty food. The endi should be all meaty foods from what I understand (never have kept them).

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Ive fed massivore as a staple diet to all kinds of fish from cichlids to rays to birchirs to betta fish (had it on hand why not?) And always have had healthy (big) fish. Only drawback I found is it is relatively expensive (cheaper in 2.2lb bags) and fish have a hard time breaking onto a cheaper pellet like nls or kens

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
Even Carnivores need veg. What do you think is in the stomachs of the fish they eat?

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Even Carnivores need veg. What do you think is in the stomachs of the fish they eat?
High quality pellets contain enough veg so IMO more isn't needed. I don't really feed my fish anything in addition often. My syn does eat algae wafers, romaine, and peas. The JD loved algae wafers too.
The Oscar I had would never eat any veggie based foods. People always claimed they like peas and its good for them, but my fish was very healthy. I don't see a reason to offer food if the fish doesn't need it. If it ain't broke don't need to fix it.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
I agree nothing wrong with a pellet that works for you. I dont want this to get into a debate over food but hikari food is much much less superior then some other great foods on the market now. Massavore good for the hard to feed predator but much better pellets can be given to less fussy fish. IMO

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
Yeah I am going to have to go ahead and disagree. Oscars are carnivores, and most of their natural diet is insects on the surface of the water, other inverts or small fish. They will eat anything, but to much veggie can cause some issues. This is where a good quality pellet should be the main source of the diet. Massivore is good for them, but that shouldn't be the main source of food.
The JD is a pure omnivore so should have a good balance of meaty and veggie based foods. The syn should have more veggie, but some meaty food. The endi should be all meaty foods from what I understand (never have kept them).
i am going to have to disagree with your disagree, Oscar are omnivores. Jags are carnivores. all will eat protein when they can get it. to much protein not good for Oscars. good pellet should be the staple diet.
as for your delima, Oscars, JD are pigs, they will spit out food to grab more food, and spit that back out because they have to much and then eat that again. I have same prob feeding my cat and BKG fish boyd soaked super krill,
I throw in more than they can chase, (tanks a 180) some always makes it to the bottom, and whats left after they are done is cleaned up by the 14" gibby.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store