Hybrid is a bully

RTCxTSN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto,On
Hey guys I have a rtc x tsn bout 11 in. And a TSN bout the same.one day when the hybrid was smaller then my TSN he got a lil bold and tried to take on the TSN and realized that the TSN is a huge wuss. Now every once and a while he gets bored n picks on her. It's not that that I'm too worried about it's the TSN smashing herself around the tank that damages her more off the hides, then off the lid then straight into the bottom and does all this over and over , then she'll try and ram herself between the Pleco and his hide. If I remove all the hides will it help stop the fighting in the first place? I think it started over their hides because they've traded. I moved the hides around and changed em up and the fighting stopped for a bit but we're back at it. If I take the hides out will this stress them too much during the daytime?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

RTCxTSN

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto,On
300 g the two cats n a Pleco . I took out the hides about an hour ago and u would think the cats r best friends laying next to, almost on top of each other but tonight at lights out is when I'll find out if it worked for the fighting. At least I know the TSN won't hurt herself on the hides anymore. Why is she so skiddish? She's always been that way but everyone here like pets n hand feeds theirs. Funny part is she only really eats live or frozen, I'd think that would make her a bit more aggressive but idk.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Neither cat needs a hide, even at young age, not much. Def. not past 6"-8". They are fine in the open.

Houei's situation is the same: his hybrid bullies his TSN IIRC. See this http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?515333-Update-on-my-cats&highlight=TSN

TSN is stressed by the hybrid, hence, the constant nervous behavior. This is what makes it skittish and flighty IMHO. If it is as bad as you describe, this cannot last for long inconsequentially. Stress will bring about a disease, then death. The tank size of 300 gal for ~1' fishes is very good. So, it is unlikely to be caused by insufficient space. If the water quality is pristine and DO is adequate, I don't see what else could cause this behavior. A dozen or two of TSNs, 3" to 2.5', went through my hands. Never a skittish one.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Funny part is she only really eats live or frozen, I'd think that would make her a bit more aggressive but idk.
Predatory aggression does not translate into hierarchal aggression, neither into territorial aggression. They can all be completely separate things.

On another note, I assume you know what you are doing but still mention that TSNs need not live whatsoever. I've never, ever fed mine anything live. They all absolutely loved any thawed flesh: fish, crustaceans, sea foods, amphibians, reptiles, etc. Any aquatic flesh frozen-thawed. My 2.5'-er loved all sorts of pellets too, cheapest of expensive, floating or sinking, he'd strike them as he strikes prey. He was insatiable and a constant threat to all smaller tank mates... Boy, he killed ~$1000 worth of tank mates, including a 15" $300 jardini aro.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store