First silver arowana

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
Hello all
M name is Adam and this is my first post on mfk. My main focus has always been african rift lake cichlids but I have always been interested in arowana but a little scared to take the plunge. I can across and ad for someone selling a 8 inch silver arowana that is currently in a 55 g community tank. I decided I would take the plunge and attempt to give him a better life. So for the last week I have been working tirelessly to empty out my 125 gallon thank to make room. It will be empty this weekend. I am going to empty out the current substrate and add sand. My current filtration is a 200 gallon rated sump and two ac 110s. I also have wave makers but I am not sure if I am going to use them yet. I am going to take a look at the aro later today and make a deposit so I can finish changing out substrate. I am well aware that this guy will require a 8' tank and have accepted the responsibility of an upgrade when the time comes no hesitation. I went under the house and verified that the flooring will support a larger tank already. The current owner says he is on a diet Of freeze dried shrimp. I know these guys need a nice variety in their diet. What else would you recommend I mix in when I get him at his current 8" size. Also what would you recommend for potential tank mates that will be fine together in the 125 g until the upgrade is needed. I am no aro expert by any means and have came here for guidance and advice. Please be kind with your responses I know I will need a larger tank and I will purchase it when it is time, it is just impossible to justify a bigger tank when the fish is only 8". I am looking forward to the upgrade tho and am shooting to get it around x-mas. Pics to follow one I change substrate and pick up fish. I don't mind paying for good food I would just like some recommendations first.
Thank you in advance for advice

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Just realize that silver arowana grow very rapidly. With proper water parameters and feeding it will grow on average about an 1" - 1.5" per month with growth spurts of 3" per month possible. A 6 foot 125g tank is only good for up to a 16-18" silver, so your going to need to have that new tank ready in about 5-7 months. Within the next year your arowana will be 24"+ and should be in it's final home.

Silver aro are extreme jumpers which require sealed, secure weighted tops. You need to get creative where the AC110s are on the tank this is typically an area that people overlook. As far as tankmates go, keep large aggressive cichlid to half the length of the arowana, best would be to wait until the arowana is 11-12" before even adding any cichlids. Larger fast moving fish like tin foils barbs or bala sharks can stress smaller arowana but make good tankmates for larger arowana.

Right now your best coarse of action is to get the aro eating a quality pellet. So don't feed it anything else, it may take a few weeks to get it to eat pellets. Once eating pellets you can add a wide range of other foods to it's diet.

Good luck with your new arowana.

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
So I just went to see him... The tank is really a 30 l and is full of tetras and the aro was at bottom of tank he swam around a bit but is def. stressed. I pick him up Sunday hopefully he will perk right back up with the larger home

Death03

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2014
Philippines
30 liters? :WHOA: you have to put him in the 125 asap, and the tank is definitely very small for the aro. even a 125 can't hold a silver aro for life but it is a better home than the 30 liters

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
Tank is now ready, I called him back and now can pick him up early tomorrow morning ... What is the best brand / type of pellet for this guy ? At least with Africans you get what you pay for when it comes to food so I assume it is the same with these guys

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1405725093.511259.jpg

pops

Alligator Gar
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2013
WA
got a cycled filter to put in? Northfin makes a great pellet.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I am proud of u Man U took the time to write that long post to get all the info u need and u took the time to go under your house and check and all that research u need .... Most ppl just get it them ask stuff .... Ok here goes best answer I can give
Aros grow very fast iv heard ppl say theirs get 20" in a year of living
They will eat almost anything at the top of the water
Blood worms
Shrimp
Pellets
Beef heart (frozen)
Brine shrimp
Chunks of tilapia
U can even feed it mice when it gets bigger
Do good size water changes when it gets bigger
Use a orange ping pong ball to float at top of water to keep it from getting drop eye
Make sure the 8' tank u spread across the beams in ur floor (even as possible)
Tankmates
I'd suggest bichirs they stay at bottom aro and bichir won't get in each others way
If u want something that swims instead I suggest middle swimmers
Oscar
Datnoids
Gars should do fine
Etc.
Nothin to aggressive
I'm glad u r getting him man a 30 gal tank is ridiculous to keep a aro in dude should be kicked in his a** for that
U should do fine man I think u will take good care of him cause u took all this time to find out about him good luck man
Oh and turn the temp up a lil higher than usual it will help him to perk up and swim then u can turn it back down
And one last thing just make sure u r aware these fish will get 3' or more and will be expensive to feed but I'm sure u will enjoy him very very cool fish one of my top favs

Acpape0

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Elkridge maryland
Thanks guys for the feed back this tank has been running for a long time but had Africans in it and Florida crushed coral mixed into substrate to buffer the water so I had to switch substrate to get the ph down.., on a side note I love pool filter sand, I was worried about the switch and how long it would take to get the water clear but is was clear in less than a half hour( filled tank with bowl and plate method) filters are fully cycled as I sold approx 50 peacocks / haps and mbuna to get the tank empty for this guy... More pics to follow tomorrow as I pick him up and get him settled in ... It requires me to get up at 6am on my day off but I really want to get him home ASAP .. 1 day may make a diff.

Attached is a slide show of substrate change to pool filter sand.
http://youtu.be/KmFK_C1lDcs

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store