Will my Oscar eat it?

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
3 weeks ago I got a baby silver aro, it was about 3" when I got it and it has grown maybe half an inch in this time, I think this is because it's in a 15 gal to try and grow it out a bit incase my 7 - 8" Oscar eats it. My Oscar has never had feeders before and the aro looks just small enough to be eaten if he really wanted to.. Worth the risk? Hate to think I could be stunting him just now!

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
Just seems like he's not growing much atm.. Hopefully if I up the water changes to daily in the 15 gal the aros growth rate will increase a bit.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
3 weeks ago I got a baby silver aro, it was about 3" when I got it and it has grown maybe half an inch in this time, I think this is because it's in a 15 gal to try and grow it out a bit incase my 7 - 8" Oscar eats it. My Oscar has never had feeders before and the aro looks just small enough to be eaten if he really wanted to.. Worth the risk? Hate to think I could be stunting him just now!
No. From 3.00 to 3.50 inches in 3 weeks is a 5.3% growth per week, which perhaps could be a little faster, but not necessarily. Over 3 months, that rate will take it from 3 to 6", over 5 months to 9". Of course each species grows differently when small, and even some fish will grow differently within the same species.

It should keep growing, but the tank and it's water quality may begin to limit it.

Jhncf

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2014
Scotland
I had read that they grow extremely fast when young,as much as 2" per month so this seems slow, but I suppose the tank could be coming into play, even though i'm already doing three 40% water changes per week (not because of nitrates, just makes me feel better). I'll wait unti he's a bit thicker before adding him to the tank with the Oscar, thanks.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
The Oscar will swallow the baby arowana.............The arownan's body is flexible and will bend accordinally to the mouth of the oscar..........The oscar's suction is powerful...........

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store