Is this a good sump size? For 150 and how much k1? Other questions

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

Im recently putting together a 150 gallon tank and I'm stuck on the sump as Im preparing to the dimensions to get it customized.

The sump will most likely be 40 inches x 13 inches x 20 inches (LxWxH) which is the max that will fit through the sump door (I can add 4 extra inches on length but there are outlet holes that I intend on using. These dimensions comes out to 45 gallons do you guys think that is enough size for a sump for a 150 gallon tall tank?

This will leave me with 6.5 inches of space to work with my hands inside the sump, personally I think thats ok since I'm pretty sure all I'm going to be doing is changing filter socks most of the time. What do you think?

Should I use one big filter sock or two small filter socks as mechanical filtration? I will most likely be putting some kind of sponges in between the baffles as well or do you think its unneeded for the sponges to be placed between baffles?

I have about two in a half gallons of k1 media should I add more? The chamber will be 20x13x? (Not sure on the height of the water will be yet if you have an idea on how tall it should be I appreciate it)

How often should filter socks be changed out for brand new ones? After how many uses...

Should anything else be added to the sump besides socks, heaters, k1, return pump and a thermometer?

Appreciate any tips or suggestions, here is a pic of the tank with spray painted background photo 1-2.jpg

photo 1-2.jpg

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
I have a 60G sump for a 245G tank. 40G for a 150G would be fine the way I have mine set up with pond matrix and poret foam, but I'm not experienced with K1.
6.5"... I have 12" and it works, but I wouldn't want to lose any of that space. I'm sure you can do it, just be warned you might get frustrated with it later on.
I use sections of polyester felt instead of filter socks and mine are still good going on 2 years.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
polyester felt felt? I will look into it as a possible addition to the filter socks, I will look into the height of the sump again before I finalize it.

Also can anyone tell me who has an enclosed stand. I have a stand that is pretty much entirely enclosed except for four door knob sized holes in the stand located on the back of the stand...looks like the only source of ventilation. Would that be good enough? Apparently the stand is made with some kind of water proof sealer......its a deeb blue aquatics series 2 stand.

Also should a glass top be put on the tank even tho it has a wooden canopy?

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
I've been using the same filter socks for years. I have about 10 of them. I just throw them in the washing machine when they're all dirty.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
I've been using the same filter socks for years. I have about 10 of them. I just throw them in the washing machine when they're all dirty.
Thats what I did with my 72 gallon bow front set up a few years ago, guess I will stick to it than...if it aint broke why fix it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store