Geo iporangensis free swimming today

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The parent pair are still what I consider very small, and young, only about 3".
Although not particularly aggressive when not spawning, they become very diligent parents. The first time this pair spawned, they were housed with a belly crawler pike, that they kept on one side of a 50 gal tank.
The other day when they put down the plaque of eggs from this spawn, had a Paratilapia sp "Andapa" as a tank mate, almost triple their size, and easily backed it away from where the eggs were placed.

I have, of course, removed the Madagascan.
I saw the parents of my breeding pair of Geos the other day, they were about 6"-7".
From what I have read, iporangensis remain slightly smaller than normal braziliensis, but don't know that from personal experience.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I think I may try putting them in a tub pond for the remainder of the summer and see if they raise some babies. Did you take the fry away or leave them with the parents?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I leave the fry with parents as long as possible in most cases.
And I agree about using the tub pond, I find fry are always more robust when they grow up in an outdoor situation, with the parents, and have a constant supply of algae, and critters available.
The parents will eat, and prevent larger insect predators from growing in the tub in most cases.
I don't feed the pond at all, yet last fall when I drained it, there were hundreds of very healthy ceibal fry.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
The one i have up right now is about 30g and jas a few bettas breeding it that I would have to catch. Or do you think the ipos would leave them alone since they mostly stay at the surface?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store