Oscar sick in hospital tank, how long b4 return?

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
Hi,

My oscar (4") was sick with what i think was hex. he stopped eating now for a week and a half and i have moved him into a hospital tank (10G) treating him. as well as treating (and fished treating) my main (180G tank)

question is.. since this was my last day treating him a lone in the tank (7 days) with metro. he is looking a little better but isnt acting right ..( laying at the bottom etc).. how long do i wait to re enter him into my main tank? he still isnt eating. but i think he may be depressed/stressed in the hospital tank (10G), however i am afraid to re enter the parasite if he isnt completely treated.. any help is greatly appreciated!.. thanks!

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
Have you been doing regular water changes? Do you have a mature biological filter on the 10g? 10g is VERY FAR from ideal for an Oscar of any size. Understandable if thats all you have for a hospital tank, but I dont think he will do well in there much longer, recovering or not.

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
ive been doing water changes every day in the 10g ... he is only 4" and it was the only altenitve i had, he wasnt doing well. and the other fish i had sensed it and was beating him up bad...

my main concern is getting the big tank sick again, if he isnt fully "better".. since he still isnt eating..

should i re enter in him the 180? or wait till he starts to eat again (im done with the meds - metro for 7/8 days )

thx all

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I wouldn't add him back to the 180, chances are if he's looking worse for wear, even after treatment he's probably a goner regardless of the tank size. Safer to keep him in the 10g for a couple of weeks anyway.

Any Oscars I've seen in the LFS have been in terrible condition, replete with parasites and all sorts, its nothing short of a miracle they even survive in the shop.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
I'm still debating what to do.. He looks better but still isn't eating.. A couple more days in the tank or just put him back in the big one , just don't want to risk infecting the tank again... Hmm

Jayfish7

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
New York
Ok .. So I decided to re enter him into the 180g and right away he was beat up (GT) so I put in a temp divider and my uaru got through and beat him up! (Which was surprising) . So I chased him out and now my oscar is beat up and still not eating (2weeka already with a week of metro treatment)... I don't know what else to do? Just wait and see if he recovers or dies? Euthanize him to end the pain? .. I don't have another tank to put him in and I don't know anyone who would take a "sick" but possibly recoving fish... Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store