Not meant to keep a jardini sad day....

avengerz43

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2014
northern kentucky
So after about six months back in the hobby today I had my worst day and biggest defeat...

Quick back story I started with a 45 bowfront knowing I was getting eventually a 300gallon dd. I set it up with 2 jags, rtc, red devil, synspillum, and a jardini. All bought babies extremely small 1-3". Hoping that by the time I got the 300 set up they'd of bonded sort of and grown with each other to be tolerable of each other for life. First jardini lasted 2 months came home to find his head only left on the bottom of tank......second I put in a small reserve 30 gallon I had set up with only a small 2" thai silk flowerhorn until I got my 300 set up then I was going to move him into there with the "killers" that had murdered my first jardini I figured the first one didn't have enough room to escape an attack so I put this second in with the flowerhorn until the large tank was set up. Flowerhorn beat him senseless in two nights I had no where to put him but the. Return section of the 75 gallon sump I had made for the 300 that I was still setting up but alas after moving him there with salts and trying to heal him up he died next day. By now I'm getting frustrated....THIRD jardini, I had the 300 newly setup just waiting on the lids to arrive from Amazon. Ran across a killer deal for a good sized jardini scooped him up and threw him in the 300. Next morning found on floor dead from jumping out a few hours before fedex arrived with my glass canopy.....

Now this....got a sweet jardini from petzone in San Diego ordered him online told the guy I needed him to be abit 8" as most of the before mentioned cichlid in the 300 were now 5-7" so I wanted him to be biggest so as not to get picked on. So arrives my beast 4th jardini arowana....he had great personality and everyone left him alone. Been two months now come home today and he's nowhere to be found......My now 10" rtc is sitting at the bottom of the tank about ready to pop he's so bloated....WTF I can't believe my luck with jardini arowana and I love those fish but after dumping now around $400 for them I have to bow out.....

Long story short I should've listened to this board NEVER TRUST A CATFISH

Also I'm still wanting a top level predator for the tank what are my options? I was thinking maybe a gar but which ones could live in the 300 dd (72"x36"x27") for life? Or any other ideas that could coexist in that setup with a jag, red devil, thai silk, synspillum, and rtc? All around 6-10" right now. Thanks all for listening.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
I doubt the jardini and the rest of your fish stock would have last. Jardini above 12" become ruthless and less tolerant with other fishes, especially cichlids. I never had any chance keeping a jardini with other fish beside bottom feeders and plecos and quickly got bored.

A gar might work, a fast moving characin like ATF, barracudas or payara. You should reconsider keeping the RTC and the flowerhorn as well. RTC belongs in a pond and flowerhorn in its own tank.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Empyreal

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2013
Las Vegas, NV
Sounds like u have no idea what fish to keep together in what size tank. Do some research first.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Smh I would feel really bad but man an RTC with any fish 2 inches smaller than him...... You get my point. It's never never a good idea to trust a catfish never.... Now you have learned the hard way. Sorry for your several losses and it wouldn't have worked out anyway the jardini would have went rambo mode and the RTC was bound to eat him someday.
Everything happens for a reason.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Research much?

avengerz43

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2014
northern kentucky
I like how there's all these "experts" on here lol.

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
Why not just get rid of the rtc? Your gonna have to eventually get rid of it anyways because you can't keep it in the 300g for ever. And then once he's gone get another jardini.

avengerz43

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2014
northern kentucky
Why not just get rid of the rtc? Your gonna have to eventually get rid of it anyways because you can't keep it in the 300g for ever. And then once he's gone get another jardini.

Yea that's crossed my mind today. I was wanting to keep him just a bit longer cuz I love watching him he's one of my fav fish. But I went into this knowing (yes to the smart asses above I did research) that I couldn't house him forever. But I think I'm just cursed with the jardini.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store