Help with salt please I need some inputs.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
So after one of my fish in my 180 got cloudy eye (which i think is something fungal because it looks like microscopic white puffs) I treated the entire tank with API melafix and pima-fix together. It's been 3 days of treatment for melafix and less than one day of treatment for pima-fix. There have been no results actually it got worse! I did a 40% water change today and the tank is very cloudy which I think is because I have 3 power heads rated for 600 gph and up all going at the same time and there is a lot of air exchange.The datnoid is eating and doing very good just has little white dots along with a thin film over his eye. You can still see his eye good it's just noticeable something is wrong. He is the only fish in the tank besides a small CL so that's not the issue my real question for this whole thread is... Is it safe to add in aquarium salt now that there have been no sighs of a change with the melafix or pimafix? I will be using a box of API aquarium salt and according to the dosage I have to use 36 tablespoons!!! Which is basically the whole box. I have never used salt before and was just wondering if it would be fine I have scaleless fish like I said a clown loach .... Would this harm him because he is scaleless? And also it's about the time I need to clean my FX6 out should I wait or should I do it now while he has the cloudy eye? I can't test my water my kit is too old and I am tight on money at the moment I mabye can get a new kit by next weekend at best. Can't get a good pic that would be any help because he hides behind the filter intake and elsewhere and also it's pretty cloudy since the meds.

In the ziplock is the dosage I measured out it looks like an awful lot to me... An entire sandwich bag full is it safe even though I already used melafix and pimafix? I plan to dissolve the salt into a bucket of aquarium water before adding any thoughts or help appreciated. This has never happened to any of my fish ever before
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1405741564.089982.jpg
ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1405741494.673539.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
Big tanks take allot of salt to treat. I always drop in a air stone when using salt.

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Did you check for ammonia,that would give you cloudy eyes?
Like I said I don't have a test kit and all that i will be getting one ASAP but until then I need to do something... I did another 25% WC today and the fish is fine and is eating he is showing no sights of being sick just the eye

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Jhawk974

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2014
Utah
I have to agree with Noels. I would be doing daily water changes and get a test kit even if you have to borrow one from a buddy or take a sample to your LFS and get them to test it most do it for free.About cleaning your filter that's really up to you I kinda of like to wait till they are healed up but that's just the way I was taught.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store