Surge Protectors Inside Of Aquarium Stand Beside Sump

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone, just curious if its ok to mount a surge protector in an aquarium stand beside a sump. Any precautions? Also does anyone have ideas on mounting surge protectors without nails? I was thinking velcro but I would rather not damage the inside of the stand....but if I have to I will lol.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
Why not some foamy double sided tape? Has never let me down haha.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Reusable zipties are great if you have something to tie them to.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
You'll definitely want to incorporate a GFCI (Ground Fault Circuit Interrupter) between the surge strip and the wall socket. If water reaches te surge protector anyone contacting the strip or water will ground power through their body which can be fatal. The GFCI will trip if someone shorts to the main power and help prevent serious injury.

gfci.jpg

gfci.jpg

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
+1 on the GFCI, I got a sparky in to install them onto the mains that way everything in the fish room is protected. We also installed a surge protector right onto the mains for the same effect, beats buying a unit for every system & I know for sure they will work as with the plug and play ones I have my concerns.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I found a GFCI Circuit Interrupter rated for 2400 watts of powers which is defiantly enough lol. I will defiantly be buying it. So I would simply attach the surge protectors to the GFCI and be good to go? Also the tapes suggested do they leave damage on the wall after removal? Just curious.

Most importantly does anyone use a grounding probe? Apparently helps with stray voltage

Last but not least any other things I should keep in mind?

soupa2

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2007
cyn
i always mount my surge protector inside my stand, but none where sump setup... my latest stand has a sump but i have glass covers to cover the sump from losing evaporation from sump.. but i have mounted 2 power strips for my tank.. one is power but the other is for my 3 x 300 watt jagars.. all of the power strips i hard mount them into my stand..

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store