Need help choosing...

matt_zak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
Amarillo, TX
So I have a new 56g column tank. The tap water here is hard. The tank water is kH 9, gH 13, pH 7.6-7.8 (hard to tell w/ the liquid API test kit) , Ammonia and Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 10ppm. The water temp is currently 76 degrees. The filter is an Eheim 2215 and the heater is a Eheim Jager 200w. It currently has 5 Tiger Barbs.

Here is a picture of it minus the Tiger Barbs:

The guys at my local LFS recommend African Cichlids, however, I would like to do a couple American Cichlids. One reason is that the tank is already aqua scaped and I don't feel like buying more rocks to build caves for the Africans. I've also read that the Africans tend to need to be overstocked and they're constantly fighting for territory.

So, given that my tank is 30" w x 18" d x 24" h & my current water info above, what are your opinions on this stocking idea:

5 x Tiger Barbs, 5 x Sterbai Cory, 1 x Yellow Acara, 1 x Firemouth

According to aqadvisor (yes, I know it's just a starting point) the tank would only be 89% stocked when they're full grown and have plenty of filtration. It also says the dH should be 5-10.

Anyhow, without further rambling I would like to know your thoughts.

Thanks,

Matt

convict360

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
Scotland
I'd choose between the acara and fire mouth, I think both might quarrel in that footprint. Firemouths will get a more manageable size, and likely won't touch your cories etc

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
sounds good, a trio of blue acara is another option!-)

virgil2090

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 29, 2011
NJ
If you research lake tan. for the smaller Africans.shell dwellers could be good for the bottom.another idea is jewels or other riverine africans, kribensis

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

matt_zak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
Amarillo, TX
I'd choose between the acara and fire mouth, I think both might quarrel in that footprint. Firemouths will get a more manageable size, and likely won't touch your cories etc

Sent from my Nexus 5 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
So could i go with two acara or two firemouth? What about one blue and one yellow acara?

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Cryptoheros Nanoluteus.

Thorichthys Maculippinis.

Or

Cryptohetos Panamensis.

Buy a group of 6 young and raise until you have a stable pair.

matt_zak

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2014
Amarillo, TX
Cryptoheros Nanoluteus.

Thorichthys Maculippinis.

Or

Cryptohetos Panamensis.

Buy a group of 6 young and raise until you have a stable pair.
If I'm not interested in breeding atm would it be ok to get just one? The Thorichthys Maculippinis seems pretty rare and hard to find. Figures that would be my favorite out of the 3 you suggested lol

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store