Should I get one?

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I was at a LFS recently, and saw that they had a bunch of 3-4in severums. Now I have been really wanting a Severus notatus (the spotted species), and as I was looking at the tank I noticed quite a few of them were far, far more spotted than any severums I have ever seen in person. I got excited thinking they might be Notatus, but I kind of doubted that this LFS would have Notatus. I asked the sales lady and she said they were all from the same batch, even though many looked completely different from one another, and that they were a cross of Rokteil severum and a Red severum (I think - know for sure one half was Rokteil). Some were every bit as spotted as Notatus pics I have seen, but the spots were dark red instead of black.

So, should I get one of the really spotted ones, or wait on a Notatus? Anyone know what this cross might look like as adults? BTW I am not planning to breed severums, so I don't really care that it is not pure, if it will look as nice as the Notatus. I just wanted a single Notatus because I think they are so beautiful.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
The spotted ones looked a lot like the pic below I found online, except that the base color was darker, almost turquise-y.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
^ They aren't those. Those are Heros sp. Inirida and you won't find them in most stores. You likely saw regular Heros efasciatus, green severums, which sometimes have maroon spots when they're little. As they grow out the spots usually fade or fuse together into striation, but they will not be as spotted as male notatus or male Heros sp. Inirida.

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
^Agreed.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
To be clear, I know the fish in the picture is not the same kind as I saw at the store, I was just using it as an example of how spotted the fish I saw were. The ones I saw were not Green Severum, they were half Roktiel, half super red severum. I was just curious if that cross would keep its spots as an adult. They are gorgeous as 3-4 inchers.

JackDempsey72

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 17, 2014
Bristol/uk
It's up to you what you do because we can't see the actual fish so we don't what it looks like or how big.
we can only tell if you show us the fish.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah, I didnt grab a picture, but when I go back Ill try to get a pic. I guess I was wondering if anyone has had Rokteil severums cross with any of the etasctiatus and knew what they turn out like.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
They will look like one or the other. A rotkeil should already be developing the red neck at 4". It will be a heavy ring of red spots developing behind the head/gill area, like this:

If it doesn't have this, it's not a rotkeil or a fish with rotkeil-like characteristics.

Be wary of LFS who claim to know what specific crosses were used in their fish. I read this all the time and I call BS on most of it. Unless they had the pair themselves and raised the fry, or unless they personally know the person who bred them, they are usually just making things up. Most LFS are buying their fish wholesale and they don't know anything about their origins or their lineage. So many LFS claim to have some rare, unusual thing when it's really not.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Yeah, I got the impression someone local bred that batch, but they could have been BSing a wholesale batch... they do get a lot of trade ins there though.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
I went back to the the LFS and confirmed with them that this was a batch bred and raised by someone local. They are a cross between a Roktiel severum and a Red Spotted Severum. I ended up buying one because they were only $6 and really are fairly unique looking. I'll try to post a picture. It's body sort of olive colored, with burgundy spots, a bluey-turquoise face and dorsal fin, and rust red anal fin. Really pretty.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store