At what size did your dat accept pellets?

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Im interested to hear the answers.
The lfs I work at recently got a shipment of fish, and we got 3 datnoides microlepis, prepared for the worst, we put them in with a few trichopodus trichopterus so they would be more visible, hoping the gouramis would draw them out of their hiding spots.
This was a success, all three dats, barely 1" are active, chasing the gouramis and gladly accepting krill and cut up shrimp. At day two, this morning, they started eating the flakes we were offering the gouramis. We got lucky I guess, who has had dats that were so accepting of pellets/flakes at such young age? Tell some stories!

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Most of my mine have taken them at around three inches and I have one that was a little smaller when it started.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
I got 4 IT at about 2" a couple years ago. They all started taking pellets immediately. They wouldn't even consider taking flakes. Today they will barely accept shrimp or tilapia but they will nail earthworms or guppies.

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

49ersfan

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2013
Bay Area, CA
All my dats started at about 3 inches except my small 3 bar (maybe the size of a quarter) I picked up last Tuesday 7/15. He started eating small pieces pieces of floating sticks I broke up and tossed in today.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

screaminleeman

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2009
Westminster, MD
You lucky you know whats.

I got two baby IT datnoids when I first started collecting fish. Not once even by accident have my now two 12"+ datnoids ever considered a pellet of any kind entering either of their mouths. EVER!!!!

I could go on for quite a while with temporary tankmates throughout their lifespan that aggressively devoured pellets in front of them (including Largemouth Bass, Polleni & Bleekeri Tilapia as well as many bichirs).

I simply cannot ever get any kind of meaty type of food to the bottom for any of the large bichirs. In fact I will go as far as to say, not a single temporary tank mate has ever gotten to eat a chunk of meat while housed with the Datnoids since they hit the 8" - 9" range with the exception of the large mouth bass (now in my farm pond).

I tried easily double digit number of times soaking many different brands of pellets both sinking and floating in many different kinds of juices from aquatic meats that they do enjoy. Again I stress NEVER EVER a pellet has entered one of my IT datnoids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store