Stingray Tanks With Decor? Any tips? Pics?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone, Im setting up a 150 gallon tall 48x24x30 with corner overflow for a hystrix ray male or marble male (I know hystrix males stay smaller than marble males but anyone know how big is the difference? I looked around a lot and everyone seems to pretty much keep tract of female sizes for breeding purposes). Of coarse filtration will be great well I think it is. Basically its filters socks, bio reactor (k2, ton of it), high turn over rate, trying to think of more media to add. Also eventually any of these rays will probably outgrow the tank I figure these rays are all easier to sell or simply give away if it comes to that point.

Well the tank is going in our living room so I need to have some kind of object in the tank that will look great but not take much of the floor space for the ray which will be started off at a small size (5-6 inch disc).

Anyone has any ideas? Was thinking of drift wood but other household opinions don't like it unless I can show some of your tanks with drift wood and show how nice
it looks. Or I can put decor and some how elevate it off the sand probably with black pvc pipes or something.

All opinions are greatly appreciated! Pics is always GREAT!

Here are some pics of the tank set up, do you guys think I should paint the doors all black to match the canopy (the stand was brand new in box for dirt cheap for like $100 also kind of hard to tell in the pic but one door is black and the other is grey..no idea why lol)

photo 2.jpg

mq_camo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2010
coolum
IMO I think the tank is too small to start with. I'd keep what little floor space you do have free for the ray.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
8 sq ft isnt a ton for a ray. Assuming your decoration touches the bottom, you are taking a big area away because of the shape of a ray. A few decent size round stones can be used because rays will swim over them but id stay away from driftwood in that tank. Ill see if I can find a pic of my old ray foraging around the stones in my old tank

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
No decor at all would be my advice.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Thanks everyone for the tips and advice will look into it more, the suspended drift wood Ive soon looks pretty neat. Trying to think of elevated decor which will defiantly be the best route. Also pics are defiantly appreciated.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store