Carbon/Purigen/ChemiPure and Plecos

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Who's running what in their filters? I've never ran anything aside from bio and mech, but my newest tank is packed with driftwood and it turns my water to tea the day after a water change. I wanna clear it up as fast as possible but don't know the best route aside from weekly 50% WC

Cohazard

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2005
I can't think of a reason why those media's would be harmful in a pleco tank.

mrtoofay

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 28, 2012
california
If you just want to get rid of the tannin coloring from the water, there is nothing better than purigen. Buy two sets of whatever amount you need so you can recharge one while the other one is in the filter.

Recumbent

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
San Diego
I miss my tea color water also. I think it looked good in my pleco tanks and they probably liked it better.

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
You guys are crazy! All my tanks in the past have been super-sanitary JDM style setups with tiles and little decor. I guess I got accustomed to crystal clear water. I wouldn't mind so much but that tannins in the water, coupled withy purposely dim lighting, making viewing difficult.

Recumbent

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
San Diego
If you want pristine tanks, plecos may not be the proper fish for you unless you like very under populated tanks. Many plecos do fine in bright clear tanks. My display tanks all have LED reef lighting on them and the plecos do fine. Only my species pleco tanks are dark for possible breeding. Plecos will adapt to what you like except for pooping less.

shookONES

MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Oh for sure. I've had head guys for a couple months and looking to add more. Of all the fish I've kept, I never gave plecos a fair shake. Needless to say, I'm hooked.

Cueball703

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2013
NY
If you want to stop the water from constantly turning Tea Colored due to the driftwood, I suggest boiling the heck out of it before you put it back in the tank. That's what I did when I added a nice sized piece of wood to my 75 gallon tank. I kept boiling the wood in water for about 5 hours, constantly pouring the dark colored water out and replacing it with more tap water until the color was so light, it was almost clear.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store