Juvenile Ruby Throated Hummingbird feeding on my front porch

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
Just wanted to share a video from this morning. I live these tiny beauties Enjoy!

[video=youtube_share;7gXDg5FZzMM]http://youtu.be/7gXDg5FZzMM[/video]

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
One part pure white cane sugar added to four parts boiling water. Stirred in until sugar is dissolved, cooled to room temp then refrigerated for up to a week. This time of the summer I'm using about 2 liters a week. After the second broods hatch I'll be using a gallon a week till they leave in the fall.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
One part pure white cane sugar added to four parts boiling water. Stirred in until sugar is dissolved, cooled to room temp then refrigerated for up to a week. This time of the summer I'm using about 2 liters a week. After the second broods hatch I'll be using a gallon a week till they leave in the fall.

Ok thanks:)

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
The ones at my hiuse never really cared for that feeder, seen others have great success with it but the always seem to favor the bottle style feeders for me.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
I've heard the same from friends who put out feeders. In the past I've tried every one I could buy, glass, plastic, tubes, etc. For me, this is the easiest to keep clean, especially since I have 8 scattered in different areas on my property. Do you have any pics?

Here's a few more from past summers

uploadfromtaptalk1406001018251.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406001052162.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1406001092830.jpg

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
No pics, the wife doesn't let me use her good camera.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I've seen feeders around in my travels,someone even gave me one but I never thought hummingbirds were in my area as I have never seen one.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
I've seen feeders around in my travels,someone even gave me one but I never thought hummingbirds were in my area as I have never seen one.
They migrate to central America every winter and return around April. Put out a few red feeders in April and you have a good chance at getting some. They are very small and very fast, the first time I noticed one I thought I was being buzzed by a bee but once you train your eyes you'll see them everywhere.

LS2012

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2013
Northern NJ
No pics, the wife doesn't let me use her good camera.
LOL, my husband is a much better photographer and I'm only allowed to use the good camera with supervision.

I'm not sure where Datnoid Island is located, :) but bbortko is right they're everywhere in North America. They migrate to/from South of the border every year. Its not too late to put feeders out this year. Hummingbirds have 2 broods each season, usually with 2 eggs in each one. Once they're out of the nest, they're competition for food. Even their parents will chase them away from a prime feeder. So the young are forced to seek food elsewhere. And theres also their southern migration at the end of the summer. These little warriors need to travel REALLY far and must eat very frequently.

Since the only hummingbird we get in NJ is the Ruby throat (with the exception of the rare very lost ones) I enjoy tracking their migration north every year. There also great info on this site. The mapping project dates back to 1996. Over 7000 people, including me since 2003, participated this year. I've also heard some stay over winter in the southern US if there's enough available food and warmer than usual weather.

http://www.hummingbirds.net/map.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store