Baby freshwater turtles...at LFS

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Saw these adorable little pig-nose turtles at my LFS. I'm not sure what their exact name is, but they are awesome. All with shells about the size of a half-dollar to maybe a poker chip. Great yellow colors on many of these guys. Was SOOOOO tempted to get one, but I was able to convince myself not to. But at 20 bucks....man....just might go back tomorrow. Have never seen these guys at this size.

Oh, and just a few tanks over... a couple of actual baby paroons. Maybe 2.5-3.0 inches...20 bucks as well.

Never seen these particular oddballs at this LFS, so I was quite surprised. I know the paroons are a good deal, but what about the turtles???

[video=youtube;SF7tKQqBdHk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SF7tKQqBdHk[/video]

bottles

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2007
canada
They are Florida Softshell Turtles. They get huge and are very aggressive. It sounds like a fair price.
Pig Nose Turtles usually refers to a different turtle better know as Fly River Turtles.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
both are creatures that take a bigger investment in time, effort, and money to care for than most people are willing put out. it's a good thing they aren't seen often in your store.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
They are Florida Softshell Turtles. They get huge and are very aggressive. It sounds like a fair price.
Pig Nose Turtles usually refers to a different turtle better know as Fly River Turtles.
This^. Pig nose turtles are illegal to export and havent been bred and go for biiiig money. Id do some serious research before getting any turtle

rmkblades

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2013
America
Yes... Usually with a fish, if I make an impulse buy it's because I know I can take care of its needs...just a matter of whether I really need to add another fish to my collection. As I mentioned, I didn't know much about these turtles, except that they are great looking little guys. That being said, I have learned that they will not remain these half-dollar size cute little turtles for long and can be quite aggressive...so it is a no go for me. If I had a 1000 gallon laying around, might have been a different story. Regardless, cute little things...for now.

I remember someone referring to them as the "poor man's" fly river turtle...anyways

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
Yep those are Soft Shell turtles. I purchased a couple babies like those about 4 years ago. Raised them in my 300 with all my fish. I was afraid in the beginning that they'd get messed with but no one bothered them. One died when still small but other grew to around 5" diameter. I only took him out cause he kept pulling my air hose off my power heads otherwise I'd would of kept him in there. Last summer I move him to a outside tub brought him inside during the winter kept him in a bucket where he just hibernated under water. This past winter I kept him outside in the tub never brought him inside. I never saw him I suspected he was hibernating or succumbed to the freezing temperatures. This summer I still didn't see any signs of him in the tub. So I accepted that he must of died and completely deteriorated. So couple days ago I drained the tub low enough to dump it over. And to my surprise that dang Soft Shell was still alive!!!! I have him back in my outside 300 tank and doing great. He's around 7" diameter now I think that is the biggest it gets.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Yep those are Soft Shell turtles. I purchased a couple babies like those about 4 years ago. Raised them in my 300 with all my fish. I was afraid in the beginning that they'd get messed with but no one bothered them. One died when still small but other grew to around 5" diameter. I only took him out cause he kept pulling my air hose off my power heads otherwise I'd would of kept him in there. Last summer I move him to a outside tub brought him inside during the winter kept him in a bucket where he just hibernated under water. This past winter I kept him outside in the tub never brought him inside. I never saw him I suspected he was hibernating or succumbed to the freezing temperatures. This summer I still didn't see any signs of him in the tub. So I accepted that he must of died and completely deteriorated. So couple days ago I drained the tub low enough to dump it over. And to my surprise that dang Soft Shell was still alive!!!! I have him back in my outside 300 tank and doing great. He's around 7" diameter now I think that is the biggest it gets.
I love stories like this :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store