Where do you get your earthworms ?

Spartan40

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 20, 2011
USA
I was just wondering where you guys purchase your earthworms ? are the ones from Walmart or a fishing store safe ?

LuluB916

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2013
United States
I buy the ones from bait shop. A lot of people don't recommend them since they may have been living in compost with fertilizer, but I never had any issue. Worms are sold on bulk/pound online (eBay/amazon) as well. You can also grow yours since they sell composting system.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
I buy the Walmart ones. I like the fact they carry a smaller sized nightcrawler that comes 20 in a pack.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I culture red wiggler worms (google it). They're like earthworms, except a bit smaller, don't require cooling and eat veggies (i.e. kitchen waste like corn cobs, wilted lettuce, junk mail, etc.)

Search Craigslist (or online) for composting worms or red wigglers and you can buy them by the pound. I got mine from these guys: http://www.veterancompost.com/

I have a rubbermaid bin of them in my garage that's been going for a couple of years and supplies more than enough worms for my 50+ tank fishroom.

Can't imagine buying worms every week... or getting them from Wal-Mart!

Matt

cornbread_5

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2007
connecticut
i get them out of the back yard just look under rocks or put a hose in the ground and flood it and the worms come to the surface

jiant2520

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
Niagara Falls, New York
I just grab them from Walmart... my fish love them and I have never had any issues. I don't feed them but maybe once or twice a week.

dogofwar, 50 tanks!! I would like to see your fish room, sounds pretty cool!!

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
I culture red wiggler worms (google it). They're like earthworms, except a bit smaller, don't require cooling and eat veggies (i.e. kitchen waste like corn cobs, wilted lettuce, junk mail, etc.)

Search Craigslist (or online) for composting worms or red wigglers and you can buy them by the pound. I got mine from these guys: http://www.veterancompost.com/

I have a rubbermaid bin of them in my garage that's been going for a couple of years and supplies more than enough worms for my 50+ tank fishroom.

Can't imagine buying worms every week... or getting them from Wal-Mart!

Matt
I wish I had the time and finances for 50 tanks!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store