Hikari foods.. What do people think?

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I'm ordering some Hikari food for my fishes, I've never tried it or seen them in Norway before, but they seem like a decent brand.

I've ordered cichlid gold color mini for my small angels and dwarf cichlids.
And some algae wafers for my bristle nose and ottos, plus sinking wafers for my Cory's.

Anyone used this brand and is it better then most fish food on the market?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DMD123

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2009
Lakewood, WA
Hikari has been out for a long time and many people have successfully raised healthy fish with it. Food is a much debated topic here and you will find many opinions as to what the best is. I guess it also comes down to what you have available to you in Norway compared to what else you can get.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
I also added some Hikari micro pellets for my tetras, and some cichlid gold sinking mini pellets for my dwarf cichlids, I think the cichlid gold mini which floats are better suited for my angels than Bolivian rams and apistogrammas.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Hikari has been out for a long time and many people have successfully raised healthy fish with it. Food is a much debated topic here and you will find many opinions as to what the best is. I guess it also comes down to what you have available to you in Norway compared to what else you can get.
I can order from tetra, jbl and prodac besides Hikari.

Jbl makes great shrimp and crab foods, tetra is decent in my opinion and prodac makes great algae wafers and granules, but my fish don't fancy their flake variety.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
i rate hikari highly. its widely accepted as almost as good as nls and in my opinion the fact that it floats and stays floating makes it better for cleanliness, so easy to remove un eaten food, most brands sink of break apart fouling the water and drifting under all the decorations.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
i rate hikari highly. its widely accepted as almost as good as nls and in my opinion the fact that it floats and stays floating makes it better for cleanliness, so easy to remove un eaten food, most brands sink of break apart fouling the water and drifting under all the decorations.
Never heard of nls, but can't get hold of it either so..

But I've ordered both sinking and floating, I just order one of every type that's suitable for my fishes.

If I'm satisfied, I might tell my boss to start selling this brand instead of all the others, price wise they are not bad.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
new life spectrum, the ingredients are better than pretty much all other brands... makes your water smell a bit though if you are heavily stocked and feed alot due to the garlic! vitamingrocer.com look in petfoods will deliver to you if your interested.

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
new life spectrum, the ingredients are better than pretty much all other brands... makes your water smell a bit though if you are heavily stocked and feed alot due to the garlic! vitamingrocer.com look in petfoods will deliver to you if your interested.
Thanks, I'm pretty much broke at the moment, but I will try them out after I've tested Hikari.

I've bookmarked their site for future reference, I appreciate the info.

Btw I tried some frozen food with garlic which was meant for discus, and not a single fish in my tank was interested at all.
Only the shrimps, but they are the pigs of the tanks.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
every fish in my tank love nls, it actually makes my lounge smell of digested garlic tho! i have a heavily stocked 300g tho so alot of food goes in!

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
every fish in my tank love nls, it actually makes my lounge smell of digested garlic tho! i have a heavily stocked 300g tho so alot of food goes in!
I personally love garlic, and don't mind the smell of garlic, but I'm assuming that garlic mixed with fish food + water equals a different smell all together.

I'm hoping this new food I'm getting will help promote growth, as I'm anxious to see my angles get bigger.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store