Getting Gar off Feeders

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Does anyone have a general idea of when to get gar off feeder fish? I know when they are young you want them to have access to food at all times. Mine is about 11 inches now. I know you generally have to starve them for awhile first. I just dont want to stunt or hinder any growth. Thanks for the help!

Sent from my SCH-I605 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Very easy to get off live. Continue to feed your feeders for a couple days always dropping only one in and always in the same place. The gar will remember food is dropped in that spot. Then drop in dead feeders for a couple days again one at a time and in that same spot. Finally drop in tilapia or shrimp in that same spot. Works like a charm.

OhioMFK

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2013
ohio
Thanks! Huge help, one question does the type of shrimp matter? Can I use tge standard frozen bag shrimp or should I go to the seefood section and buy fresh? I just want to make sure my gar has a priper deit.

David1999

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
SoCal
Thanks! Huge help, one question does the type of shrimp matter? Can I use tge standard frozen bag shrimp or should I go to the seefood section and buy fresh? I just want to make sure my gar has a priper deit.

I'm not really sure if it matters or not but I would use fresh shrimp :)

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jpcampbell123

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2011
In the water
I recently got my biggest one to take a sliver of tilapia the second largest ate a piece of krill and the smallest one showed interest in both the shrimp and tilapia tried to grab it but still didnt eat it
i might try some night crawlers for the smaller one in the past i have switched some longnoses over by tossing in some live crickets and then tossing in the krill on a side one of the gars is not shy at all and nearly took some food out of my hand tonight

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store