Sajica and Spilurus

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
When I ordered some fish online recently the seller subbed in 7 one inch Cyrptoheros Spilurus in for a fish he ran out of. What are these guys like? I cant find much info on them, and I am not super familiar with the species since I wasnt planning to buy them. I also have a bigger female Sajica, so I am hoping that wont be a problem, either with aggression or hybridization. A LFS has a male Sajica, would it be better to get him so that each species has some of thier own species to focus breeding energy and aggression on? Thanks.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because they are such close cousins, I personally wouldn't keep them together, but you could grow them out together for a while though, just what out for pairing up signals.
And since they are both Archocentrus types, they are very similar in needs and attitude. To me, the vendor gave you a nice substitution.
I keep a compatible pair of sajica in a 40 gal, the male will tolerate no other tankmates, he is (what I consider) at his size (nearly 5"), pushing the limit of a 40 gal tank, but with no other fish, and the tank being in a line of over 300 gallons, so far so good.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Well the problem is that the only tank the Spilurus really fit in with is the CAcichlid/sunfish growout tank, which has the Sajica already. The Spilurus were what were substituted for the Cichlasoma dimerus, which as you know were for a different tank, my Uruguayan tank. So you think it would be a good to get the male Sajica, so that hopefully the Sajica would pair, and the Spilurus would pair with their own species? Or leave it as it is? (1 Sajica, and however many Spilurus I decide to keep.)

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
Spilurus, in my experience, are not as bold as sajica. I'm on my second go around with them, as I moved my first pair into a tank with larger central americans and they did not fare well. I'd stay away from keeping sajica with the spilurum. Both are nice fish, but pick one to keep instead of both if you only have one tank to dedicate to them.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
That is interesting, because as little one inchers mine are very bold, precocious fish, chasing fish bigger than them, and having mock battles with each other constantly. They seem more bold considering their size than my Sajica.

Spilurus, in my experience, are not as bold as sajica. I'm on my second go around with them, as I moved my first pair into a tank with larger central americans and they did not fare well. I'd stay away from keeping sajica with the spilurum. Both are nice fish, but pick one to keep instead of both if you only have one tank to dedicate to them.

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
Feed off the Sajicas and keep the spilurums, hahaha sorry one of my favorites and least favorites....

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Haha, wel that wont be happening! I really like my Sajica, and so far she has had a great personality and I have had her longer than the spilurum. Why did you not like the Sajica?

newworld

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2008
chicago
I just never liked them maybe it's their everyday color, but they do have an attractive spawning coloration, I've always liked spilurums a basic grey fish with bars, when I went to Belize I brought back 10 pairs, just to give you a clue how much I like this fish....

mrrobxc

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2012
SE PA
Spilirus were more aggressive and bold than my sajicas from my experience. I consider spilirus to be the most aggresive of the cryptoheros species and almost as aggressive as amatitliana.

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Always interesting how everyone's experiences vary. I read several places that Cutteri are pretty aggressive, but that Spilurum were about on par with the Sajica.

Spilirus were more aggressive and bold than my sajicas from my experience. I consider spilirus to be the most aggresive of the cryptoheros species and almost as aggressive as amatitliana.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store