Number of Severums in a 90 gallon?

dbcb314

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
Tallahassee
Assuming none of them pair off (which will be hard I know), how many Sevs would you recommend for a 90 gallon tank?

There would likely be bought as juveniles... not the quarter sized tiny babies but a more "medium" size and then grow up together. The would need to be able to stay in the tank for at least 5 years as there will be no upgrade planned at this time.

They would be the only biggish midwater fish in the tank... rest of the tank would be polys and maybe a school of a medium ish barb/tetra

jonclark96

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2009
Frederick MD
It really depends on the individual fish. If you were lucky enough to get all females, you could probably keep 2 or 3 comfortably. I've had males that would harass any other male in the tank, even when I moved them to a 6 foot tank.More than likely, if you start with a group of 6, you'll end up with a pair.

freebyrd

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Virginia
I had a 10-12" male green severum and 10" red spot atabapo and they relentlessly chased each other around a 265g. Only saving grace was a ton of hiding places

Sent from my SM-G900V using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
I'd just aim for a pair, and hopefully a small pair. A large male will still harass a female in that size tank if he wants to spawn and she's not in the mood. Sometimes you find males who will get along well if raised together, but that will also depend on space. I've had fish beat the crap out of each other in a 75 gallon tank only to leave each other alone in a 150.

ryansmith83

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 2, 2008
Florida
^ It's both. Cichlids will tend to be more aggressive toward each other in smaller spaces where their territories may overlap. The more room you give them, the more settled and passive they tend to be. My 3" Aequidens growouts were starting to really do a number on each other in a 55 growout, so I moved them to a 150 and now they ignore each other. Severums are very similar in that regard.

The likelihood of two adult severums of the same sex getting along is a toss-up in a tank that size. It may work out great or it may not. Chances are, if they are tolerating each other at 4" or so, they'll be okay. But always be prepared for that to fail. Even with a bonded, mated pair, the two fish will sometimes squabble or even turn on each other if there's a disagreement. I've had it happen more than once with severums. It's why I don't even keep breeding pairs alone in their own tanks anymore. Having said that, a mated pair will probably be more likely to live long-term in a tank that size if given sturdy dithers to distract them and give them something to channel their energy and aggression into during spawning mode.

Bfishin3

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
It all depends on the fishs attitude. Ive had rwd spot male in a 90gal for 2 years woth several other fish. I bought and added a new male red spot about a week ago. He was chased and picked on for 2 days by my established male SEV and my EBJD.. after 2 days they are all completely ok with each other. No aggression. Soo ithink its more the idividual fish then the tank size. Because i habe quite a few fish in my 90. Which is really overstocked and aggresuin is almost non existant in my tank

Bfishin3

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2019
I think if you buy them all small and let them grow together they will tolerate each other much better when they are full grown

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store