What is this and should I be worried?

bigpac

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
phx, az
Hey mfk I recently just got into the ray game and now looking for a quick answer or two first what us this is this part of an internal parasite cuz I know it has one since poop is half black and clear and 2 what's the best way to cure it? I've been using Pimafix and melifix for the last week and hasn't gone away yet but both rays are eating and 3rd is it safe to put salt in with them as I'm confused on this since I've read not to then I see others saying they do so n e help will be greatly appreciated uploadfromtaptalk1405972236889.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405972257341.jpguploadfromtaptalk1405972281589.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

gorak

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2013
mn
Looks to me like your sand it too rough. Maybe change out the sand.

bigpac

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
phx, az
Well I appreciate the reply but I noticed it when I was putting it in there tank and it's pool filter sand so still too rough?

bigpac

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
phx, az
Bump n e 1? Mainly the salt question is it safe with reticulated rays?

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
Pool filter sand is fine. Clear mucus type poo means stress. I imagine they are fairly new? As long as you are keeping up with at least 50% WC per week and they are eating, they should be fine.
Tell us about the tank size and filtration. Has the system been cycled?
Salt can be used. I use it any time I have a bacterial issue or a female gets chewed up. Other than that, I do not use it.
When I do use salt, I use the all natural water softener salt...much cheaper.

bigpac

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2013
phx, az
Hey thanks Scott yeah I just got them last weds and they made a 6 hr trip the poop was half black and half clear stringy poo the filtration on this tank is a sunsun 304b (525gph) filter with a 9 watt uv light
Built in. The tank was set up day of arrival for sand and water and the filter I had on my 200 gal tank for the last 6 months, foot print of the ray tank is 4'x2'x2.5' and they will get the 200 gal tank when I up grade after our baby comes in December. I did a 50% Wc yesterday morning and Eating wise they seem to be eating well last night I threw in 2 frozen blood worm cubes and 1 hole shrimp and they ate that pretty quickly. Last night the ray in question finally jumped on a whole blood worm cube cluster and ate like it was his last time he was gonna be feed. I did notice they both came in where I could see the rays ribs and now it seems as they have put on weight cuz ribs arnt so visible now. And they are semi active, I say semi cuz there not a big fan of the light on in the tank yet so I have left it off for the most part then they come out to play and eat at night.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store