Ray fungus and not eating, need help asap!

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
I work at an LFS, last friday we took in a shipment of fish, and I special ordered a 6" female motoro for my male. I decided to put the ray in a 55g quarantine at work, because I spend more time there than at home and I can look more after it, see how it's doing.
When she arrived on friday she had fungus in her tail and the barb was broken (probably normal after a long flight).

On friday, saturday, sunday and today the last thing I do before leaving work is putting 900g of salt in the tank and the first thing I do in the morning is doing 70-80% Water change. And today I put 8g of Néomycine (antibiotic) in the tank for like 5 hours and then did a large w/c. The fungus seems to be disappearing after I put the antibiotics in the tank.

The rays "skin" (or what to call it??) is pale on the edges of the disc, probably just had a bacterial infection and the fungus came due to that.

But the ray isn't eating, it has a rather fat tail so I haven't been worrying too much, but now it's been a while, I've offered shrimps, brineshrimp, and a mix of artemia and krill.. I'm trying earthworms tomorrow.

Any advice on this situation would be of great help.

Also: Since the fungus is almost gone, should I maybe just bring her home and put her in a 125g with my male, do you think I will have better luck with that?

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Earth worms chopped very small morning and night should fix the food. Health wise it sounds like you are going at it well just monitor and keep working it out. If it's showing some signs of not eating and what don't go moving it. Let it settle and heal and be well for a little.

Sent from the Monster Fish Keeping App

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Ray still isn't eating, what I've tried so far: shrimp, mysis, brineshrimp, krill, bloodworm and beefheart mix, snails, earthworms... I'm going to try live fish tomorrow, what would be an ideal feeder for a small ray?

So far what I've done to try and get rid of the fungus:
Friday: Salt
Saturday: Salt
Sunday: Salt and Néomycine (antibiotic)
Monday: Néomycine
Tuesday: Néomycine
Wednesday: Sera Mycopur
Thursday: Sera Mycopur

She looks healthier after I put in Sera Mycopur, which is for fungal infections. Only reason I didn't use it right away is because it conains copper, but it doesn't look like the copper is doing anything, the fungus is getting smaller and smaller.

Is there anyhing else I can do to try to keep my poor little thing alive?

Is ther anything else I should try to feed?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Any update? Wondering how the copper treatment is working. Earthworms and live blackworms I'd recommend.

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Any update? Wondering how the copper treatment is working. Earthworms and live blackworms I'd recommend.

Friday, saturday, sunday and today I have put in 10ml of sera mycopur each day and 40g of sera ectopur (a salt preparation that can reasonably enhance various medical treatments). Turns out the ray had a much bigger fungul infection than just on the tail, a large part under the disc had fungus. This became visible when the fungal meds started working and the fungus started falling off, this explanes why she isnt eating, she was much sicker than I originally thought. The copper meds dont seem to have done any damage, and I expect the bigger part of the infection to be gone in 2-3 days.

What are the signs of the copper meds doing damage?
She nibbled at a piece of shrimp on saturday, and it looks like she is eating the ramshorn snails i put in the tank... I'll update again later this week. Any advice is gladly accepted.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I don't know what copper toxicity looks like symptom wise. I have read that they are very sensitive to it. I would try to keep it eating. Offer live Earthworms if you can chop then up real small.

It's hard decision because you want to treat long enough to clear the infection, but with toxicity issues you may want to consider tapering the dosage down or stopping early one conditions improves.

Goodluck, keep us updated

Jakob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Iceland
Shes getting better. Eating ramshorn snails and live procambarus sp. Fallax (crayfish). Uplpaded a pic, does the disc grow back when its this damaged?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1407361100407.jpg

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
My Leo's stopped eating once, after I treated the tank with copper.
They also stopped eating after I used an algaecide, which also probably had copper in it.

Sent from my XT1080 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store