Clown loaches Quarantine or not

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Guys/gals im going to add a few more clowns to the new tank. Going to go with 3 to 4 inches in size. I was thinking or quarantining them. Should I treat for internal parasites with something like tetra parasite gaurd ? If they are large and eating and not showing any signs of ick or the skinny disease (internal parasites) is there even a need ?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Ive raised quite a few loaches to 10" +.. I always treat new loaches with Levamisole in a bare bottomed tank...GL
Its worth the couple of bucks to ensure their health

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Maybe do half the dose as loaches are sensitive to medication I believe. They get ich fairly easily as well so quarantine just to be safe

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Yup, quarantine and dose for parasites.
I'm a fan of prazipro and leva.
Here's a solid guide for dosing leva. I may be a bit biased since i helped put it together a smidge.
http://www.loaches.com/Members/shari2/levamisole-hydrochloride-1

Sent from my LG-E980 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Great article definitly going to save that one

Where donyou guys get the lev from and donyou dose it the way the article describes it ?

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Most feed\animal supply stores carry it, since it's used frequently as a pig wormer.

That recommended dose is lower than some people have used, and seemed well within a safe dosage range. If i remember right one guy did a 3x dosage and everyone lived, but I'm not sure how that worked out long term for him.
I did the grunt work of converting it to a usable dosage for home aquaria, and a few rounds of testing on various fish.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Before I dose I am gonna have to come back to the forum....lol im not a math wiz....lol just to make sure I don't mess it up

MilitantPotato

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2006
Missouri, USA
Sounds good. It's important not to over dose. Though people have done it, and there is some wiggle room, it does no good and can be deadly.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I've never pre-treated loaches, but I would always quarantine any new arrivals (loaches or not) when adding them to a tank with clowns, I've had too many battles with white spot not to!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store