What kind of catfish was this at petco? Also, my danio died, advice?

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Ok so, two stories in one post. I went to petco to look for an Elephant Nose fish (the main reason I set up a tank to begin with). Of course, my girlfriend likes the really colorful glofish so I decided we could get some danios too. Anyway, long story short they didn't have an ENF this time. My fault for not buying the one I saw when I first set up my tank, but then again it hadn't been cycled yet. So I bought three zebra danio and my girlfriend picked out a yellow glofish danio. I have to say, although I'm not a BIG fan of glofish, the little yellow one was adorable. Unfortunately I have one of those aquaclear filters that hangs on the back of the tank. This morning I woke up and the tiny yellow danio was stuck to the clear pipe that suctions water into the filter. I want to get another yellow one, but how do I keep it form getting sucked in there? :( The other zebra danios are fine, they are a bit bigger and seem to be able to swim around the filter without getting sucked up.

Now, in another tank there were three tiny catfish. I assume they are catfish because of the whiskers. They had white/silvery bodies and black stripes running down the length of their bodies. They sort of reminded me of "sharks" like an iridescent shark, but they weren't ID sharks. They were in the tank with some Mollies and they seemed to be swimming in place. I asked the fish guy what they were and he tried to tell me they were mollies (obviously not). There was nobody else in the fish section that night and the fish guy said he didn't know much about freshwater fish. Stupid me didn't get a picture, does anyone have ANY idea what they were?

MN_Rebel

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2008
North Pole
Sounds like Otos

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
I looked up the pictures, close, but no! The fish I'm talking about had more defined stripes and the contrast between white and black was more noticeable. Also, it didn't seem like a sucker catfish (not the right term, I'm a newbie). :)

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Hmm check out different Cory cats, maybe small Columbian sharks, Beckford pencilfish, as for the filter sucking in fish buy a small sponge like the one inside your aquaclear cut a small whole in it and place it over the last piece of the intake. Like thisDSC_0123.JPG. Clean it by rinsing every now and then to maintain good flow, it will also function as a prefilter

DSC_0123.JPG

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
I looked online and they kind of look like Strip eel catfish, but petco wouldn't have something that exotic, right? Also, that sponge idea is genius! I'm going to do that ASAP before picking up another danio. :)

Lepisosteus, they were white with black stripes :)

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I looked online and they kind of look like Strip eel catfish, but petco wouldn't have something that exotic, right? Also, that sponge idea is genius! I'm going to do that ASAP before picking up another danio. :)

Lepisosteus, they were white with black stripes :)
Approximately how long were the fish and how long were the barbels? Did they have nasal barbels (on top of head) or not? This will help specify a bit.

Paperlantern4

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2014
Maine
www.facebook.com
Found it! It's a Debauwi Catfish. After looking up the size, temperament, etc, I went back to petco and picked a couple up. I'm going to add a few more next week, since I heard they like to be in groups. Here is a picture of them I found on google.

31361.jpg

31361.jpg

ss720

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2005
Norway
Found it! It's a Debauwi Catfish. After looking up the size, temperament, etc, I went back to petco and picked a couple up. I'm going to add a few more next week, since I heard they like to be in groups. Here is a picture of them I found on google.

View attachment 1029357
Those are nice, I remember having one when I was a kid, really cool fish.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store