Biotope

Adoinc

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Arvada, Colorado
I want to set up a biotope for a Gibby (my favorite fish) and need to know EVERYTHING about their habitat. I want to know:

1. The decor they encounter in the wild (types of wood/ types of rocks)

2. Water color

3. Water movement speed

4. Any fish that live with them in the wild.

5. Substrate type

6. Lighting

I have found some info but if you know anything please tell me. (even if you don't think it's important... it is to me) Thanks in advance! - Tristan

Adoinc

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Arvada, Colorado
To help here are some rivers if you know anything about the species here

Widespread throughout the Peruvian & Brazilian Amazon. Also known from the Rio Orinoco.

Solimões river - ..."upper stretches of the Amazon River in Brazil from its confluence with theRio Negro upstream to the border of Peru"...

Napo is another... whitewater river has a muddy brown color with little visibility because of the heavy sediment content.
In the main part of the river, there are almost no plants, and mostly large fish

Please help me with finding fish from these three rivers, or others if you find them. I really want this.

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've got a Gibbiceps and he's my favorite type of pleco! They aren't that picky but here's my knowledge of them.

1. Decor should be a lot of driftwood, some natural looking rounder rocks, and hardier SA plants.

2. Not to sure but as far as pH and hardness goes I keep him at 7.6 with moderately hard water. In nature it would be 6.0-6.5 with soft water I'd imagine.

3. Gentle to medium.

4. They can coexist with the majority of SA fish but don't put them with other plecos.

5. For a natural theme I'd do sand.

6. Low to medium.

GEV83

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2009
LA County, California
Not many underwater photo's from SA rivers. Kinda hard with so much sediment in the water. There are photo's of another Pterygoplichthys species underwater but can't make out if it's P. pardalis or P. disjunctivus. But either way check em out here may give you some ideas. I do know they love having driftwood and look best with a dark colored substrate.

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/tags/plecos/interesting/

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store