Large acrylic tank repair?

fredej80

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
central illinois
Hello all, I recently went to look at a large acrylic tank and discovered a crack in the bottom. The tank itself is 1.25" acrylic and roughly 90x32x52. It is set up peninsula style with an overflow wall at one end. The crack is in the bottom basically where the black overflow wall meets it. I'm just wondering how some of you might go about repairing this tank? image.jpg
The pic isn't the best but hopefully it gives you an idea.

image.jpg

scott s

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2010
Indiana
It looks as if the crack is not on the seam but on the bottom panel am I correct?

You can always get a piece of acrylic ( at least one-half inch thick) to cover the entire area and glue that from the inside of the tank touching all three sides of the tank front, side and back for strength.

My only concern would be that the crack might continue underneath that patch .

I don't know if you could flip the tank upside down and drill a small hole at the end of the crack to stop it from cracking further then run some weld on into the crack to try and help seal it up.

I just noticed that you said the crack was by the overflow. If the crack runs under the overflow wall then that could be a bigger problem.

All you can do is try . Just make sure you do your test fill in the garage or outside.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

fredej80

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 27, 2011
central illinois
Thanks Scott. I kinda had the same idea to try and hope for the best. The crack does go partially under the overflow wall though and I'm not sure what to do with that. For the price I think I can pick it up for though it may just be worth cutting up and using the pieces for a diy tank of some sort. Just kinda hate to cut up a big tank if it can be fixed.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Easy fix...no need to cut anything up for scrap...drill all the ends of the cracks with a 1/8"-1/4" bit. Patch as recommended by scott and id use weld-on #40 or #42. You can also cut the whole overflow box out and patch over that whole area with a floor piece and #40. If you dont like those ideas u can simply drill the ends of the cracks fill em back up with #40 and use the 40 itself to repair the cracks. If you leave the overflow box in, with bulkheads installed u can just pour #40 up to a 1/2" thick in the box melting everything in place. Bulkheads would b permanent but nothing a saw can fix down the road if needed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store