Red jewels breeding help

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
So this is about the 6 or 7 spawn from my red jewels. I have never really seen the "male" fertilize the eggs but they both guard them. They have also ate all the eggs everytime. I have seen the female eat a few this time but there is still a good tons left. Any ideas why they would do this? And is there anyway to tell if my other is indeed a male, I would assume the female wouldn't let it near the eggs if it was another female right?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Two females can certainly spawn when the mood hits them and there are no males around. They are easy enough to sex...males are far more colorful during breeding and have longer, thinner papillae...breeding tubes. Do a Web search to double check.

If both are females, the eggs will turn white since they are infertile and they will eat them.

If they are a m/f pair, they may still be learning or the male may be sterile...but this is unlikely

Good luck

Sent while on the go...

Smithmode

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 11, 2014
Washington
Well I have done research on them. The one that lays all the eggs is the brightest by far and is bigger. The other one is smaller and is not quiet as bright red. But I haven't seen the other lay eggs.

big ounce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2014
Florida
My female got a very very bright red during mating. My male was bigger but not as bright. Color doesn't confirm sex.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store