Please Advise! I don't want a sushi bowl!

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
GATF issue:

I've seen in youtube that people kept several goliath tiger fish together, and I've heard horrific story of GATF single itself out from a group.

So is it a good idea to comm. 2 GATF together? along with a bunch of bala shark?

Aimara issue:

I came across a few 10"+ Aimara for a decent price and I wanted to buy one!

So how do you add an Aimara to a community tank?

Although, an Armatus, and a GATF are relatively cheap in price comparing to an Aimara and easily replaceable, but I still don't want to see them to get chop in half!

Is it a hit or a miss thing? or is there a way to do it?

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
Gatf - I only have experience keeping one and I hate him. Friggin spaz. Not sure IF I just got unlucky or they're all this crazy skittish stupid. I have both Vatf and Tatf and neither are even close to as flighty as the G. Doubt I'll ever keep another.

Aimara - I have both my Aimara in community settings. The trick is to not let them know what they are. At 10" it could be risky, as you don't know if it's been kept alone and taunted with nets or sticks to show off aggression. I acquired both of mine fairly small (6-7") and only had issues with the second killing off some ATF but I probably should have known the ATF were too small. People really don't understand these fish. They are aggressive towards humans more then they are their own tank mates. IF the tank mates are too big to eat I'd bet you'll be fine. The main concern is how long have they been tormented by humans before now? IF at a shop for a while alone in a tank it's going to be way riskier then freshly caught newly captive.

IF Aimara were really the nightmarish shred everything in the tank fish everyone makes them out to be then I'm sure one of mine would have that killer instinct, but after having 2 I'm wondering if the owners don't make them that way or being pulled out of the wild at a decent size doesn't do it, cause the 2 little guys I picked up have both turned out to be puddy cats despite being housed with larger toothy fish.

Please keep us posted with what you end up doing..... I'd be very interested to see if you get similar results to what I'm having. :)

IF I was to do research on this forum I'm sure my tank would be considered a sushi bowl. I bet if I asked would my stocklist work people would tell me absolutely not and there's no way it would end well. (A big Lacerdae wolf, an Aimara, 2 Dorado, a Vatf, 3 Armatus) truth is it's a checks and balance system. With enough tweeks you can get it to work.

IF I was in your shoes I'd definitely give it a go! BUT I think the safest bet is to have a "peacekeepr" fish. One that is quite a bit bigger then anything else. Something big enough that the toothy fish don't even try to fight for supremacy. I've used barbs, Aros, and knives.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Db said it all.

I would jump for the opportunity of getting such sized Aimaras :)

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store