RidX as a probiotic in your system

DavidW

INCOMING!!!
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2005
Manaus, Brasil
sigh

I am aware of a poor ray hobbyist recently that was advised that using RidX as a probiotic in your tank is useful.

IT IS NOT. IT IS POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS FOR YOUR RAYS.

He lost $$$thouands of dollars in livestock.
In my opinion more than partly due to adding RidX in his system, coupled with less than ideal water pH and hardness.

There are so many 'unknowns' in it, bacteria and enzymes and chemicals, that to use this crap anywhere near any living creature is inadvisable, but to add it to a system with scaleless fish ( i.e. rays) that are worth so much money is being cheap to the point of INSANITY, and to recommend RidX as a fish system probiotic at all is imo totally reckless with other people's animals. whoever recommends that I would refer you to my avatar.

here is RidX 'fact' sheet...as you'll see...very light on facts.

http://www.rbnainfo.com/MSDS/US/Rid-X-Septic-Treatment-US-English.pdf

read it then tell me you think it is ray safe.

:screwy:

Reactions: Reedmaster16

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Let me be the first to defend Rid X. I am not yet a ray keeper, but plan to take the plunge soon. There is a thread in the stickies on this very subject you may wish to read. http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?536531-The-Use-of-Probiotics-in-Aquaculture
I doubt that is the reason your friend had this unfortunate problem. I have been using Rid X in my aquariums for about a year and intend to when I get my first ray in a few months. I know a couple other people here in town that are as well. I would be interested to know what you think after you cruise through the thread.
Rodger

Reactions: RD.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
What the heck is Ridx, David?

I have been using septic tank bacteriae, in assuredly 100% organic compounds, in my tanks for nearly two years. I and a couple of others in here and the project was documented and followed in MF.

I have nothing but good results so far, these bacteriae helping to "outcompete " the more obnoxious ones.

But, as said, i do not know what Ridx is.

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
Reading the link provided by David, i must admit i would not use Ridx. My knowldege is not sufficient to understand whether Ridx contains chemicals ( i would say so from what i read ).

In any case, in the products i have used there was aboslutely no reference to it being a hazardous matereial and, as said, i have registered evident signs of water clarity ( not that it was not clear, mind...:) )

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
I've never used ridx. Sounds like it could contain chemicals or elements in addition to the bacteria.

I add human probiotics to my aquariums and my aqua/hydroponic reservoirs. To be completely honest I don't know if they have any effect besides making me feel like it's doing something. Fish are growing and breeding, plants are growing, guess it's not hurting.

It'd be nice to know exactly what is in ridx

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

mustang93svt

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2010
ohio
Been using RidX in 5 tanks for a little over a year now even my tank with a motoro. With no issues what so ever. Not worried at all about it either. Sound more like
coupled with less than ideal water pH and hardness.
had more to do with you buddies rays death than RidX...

CANAMONSTER

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2012
Barrie
It is amazing stuff. There is also better probiotics then rid x
I use one that is Canada similar to rid x. Very very beneficial!!! If you search user RD he explains all about it. Its completely safe and some of my fish even eat it.

Controls diatoms, aids in fish digestion, rids bad bacteria, consumes nitrate making detris and turn is it into Co2 which leaves the water via surface. Good surface agitation helps this process.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Maybe he overdosed or maybe it was a water quality problem not related to the Ridx that was the reason for the deaths? I use septobac with no problems and rays are breeding,having pups and the water quality is in good condition. Can't say anything about Ridx but there was the following disclaimer when selecting a product to use...

Please Note - If anyone tries this in their tanks, please make certain that the products are 100% organic, biodegradable, and non-toxic, and do NOT contain any types of surfactants, perfumes, etc.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store