does anyone actually KNOW why mullet jump?

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
Watch them constantly in my back yard for the last year. Done internet searches that are pretty much summed up in one page (http://www.lafishblog.com/why-do-mullet-jump/)

Last theory sounds possible but surely there are easier ways for a fish to grab a gulp of air than flying through the air "like a football being tossed by Drew Brees"

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
Parasite eradication ??

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
My favorite was so they could see where they are going. Kinda makes sense in the pea soup lagoons

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
A longing desire to get a position as a dwarf Killer Whale at Seaworld ??

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
If thats the case im going to grab a black n white wetsuit n get training! Seriously though anyone seen what im talking about? About every 5 min I just randomly see a fish flying through the air a few feet

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
1) Short, fast jumping in schools is predator evasion most of the time (or at least them thinking there is a predator). They can be like flocking birds - if something sets off one, they all react the same even if the other fish haven't sensed a predator in the area.

2) Oxygen. Several fish (especially coastal species) are known for the ability to gulp air in order to remain in areas of low dissolved oxygen (tarpon are another great example of this behavior). You can find mullet thriving in water with a DO less than 2 mg/L.

brich999

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2010
New Hampshire
I know it isnt predatory jumping because there are many many minnows and you can tell when a predator goes after them because a bunch jump in one spot and it isnt just mullets jumping. I can see the low oxygen being the reason since they are small shallow stagnant lagoons that look like pea soup but why not just grab air I guess is my question. Betta and araipima breathe air also but you dont see them launching to get some. Just weird behavior I cant really wrap my head around

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store