Some questions from the new guy

Germando

Feeder Fish
Jul 22, 2014
TX
First off hi everyone, there is a lot to learn here and i am just getting started. I have just purchased two 55 gallon tanks and built wooden stands for them. Now i need to stock them. I currently have 4 fish in other tanks that could go in them (14" clown knife, 6" clown knife , 8" tiger oscar, and a 7" sexually frustrated female red devil). I know that I want a green terror in one tank and to put my red devil in the other. My question is what would be good to go with them? I have a local guy who can get me just about anything that i want. I have heard that pool filter sand is good as a base is this true? And what filters and heaters do you guys recommend?

Thanks,
G

cichlidfish

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2005
Welcome! I hate to say it but all of the fish you have will out grow a 55g, so you will have to upgrade eventually. Especially the clown knife. A GT will be ok in a 55g for life. The RD will be too aggressive for oscars unless you have a really big tank.
I would consider smaller tank mates and nothing that exceeds 12" in a 55g. Hope that helps.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jiant2520

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
Niagara Falls, New York
Hello and welcome... I have to agree... that 14" Clown Knife is already longer then the width (13") of a 55g. The rest will be soon enough as well, Oscars and RD's grow pretty quick. Having a GT in a 55g should be fine, but fully grown they would need to have it to their self... maybe a pair. The female RD might be ok in the other 55g... sorry, but you will run out of room real quick after that. On another note pool sand should be fine, I got my sand from Home Depot (fine sand). I use canister filers (FX5's) and HOB's... Aqua Clear 110's and Emperor 400's and 280's are good, in my opinion. As for heaters I use the basic submersible ones, nothing too fancy. I like to use more than one heater and filter on my tanks in case one goes, however I know this is not always practical.

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
I have to ask since you seem to think 55g has big fish potential. What size of tanks are these fish in now? I use Eheim Jager heaters. A single 150w will handle a 55g.

Cichlidss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2014
Western Cape, South Africa
Hi. i have kept GT's in 55 gallon tanks.. I have kept them with firemouths and convicts
They worked until the GT reached a good size and all hell broke out (Wont make that mistake again!)
As for the clown knife try find him a nice home.. unless you planning a very big upgrade
RD's can be really bad ass and in a 55gal he will most likely claim the whole tank.. chance of having anything else in there is very slim
You would have to upgrade at a stage aswel!!
As for the 8" Oscar he is going to be to big for that 55 gal

Maybe look for some other smaller to medium sized cichlids to stock your 55gal with :)

Germando

Feeder Fish
Jul 22, 2014
TX
I have to ask since you seem to think 55g has big fish potential. What size of tanks are these fish in now? I use Eheim Jager heaters. A single 150w will handle a 55g.

The RD is in a 40 ATM. The two clown knives are in a 29 gallon this was dumped on me about a month ago by a friend who said he was going to kill them off and throw the tank out. Oscar is currently in a 45 gallon vertical also a gift to me about 4 months ago.

I found a 75 yesterday for 100 bucks so I bought it. Would that work for either the oscar or RD? The clown knives I would give away, but the only place close that would take them is petco. Unless someone knows a good place to take them in dfw (as I have no attachment to them, but don't want them to go to a bad home)? Could I get a juvy GT or jaguar with some convicts in the 55? I plan on upgrading it again early next year to a 120 or bigger and then turning the 55 into a small reed tank.

also are there any places on the web where you can get frozen fish food at good prices?
And I will check out those canisters. I have never used canisters before. I currently use air stones in all tanks is this beneficial at all or just wasting electricity?

Thanks
g

p.s.
this site rocks I am already looking at making my own tanks so big tanks are in my not too distant future

suprd71

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2012
North Bay Ontario Canada
The 75 will hold either the RD or Oscar fine, but only alone. As stated, 55g is good for 1 only medium sized cichlid, and def NOT a Jag. I would get the Oscar in the 75 asap and the RD in one of the 55's. They are struggling in their current tanks. You should stock any tank per the adult size of the fish. Always good intention to upgrade later, but often doesnt happen.

jiant2520

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2011
Niagara Falls, New York
The Oscar will be fine in the 75g by it self. The female RD should be ok in the 55g by her self... maybe. I would not add a GT (unless it is replacing the RD) and def not a Jag. The Jag will not work in either... maybe a female Jag in the 75g, but that is it. Just curious... what kind of filters are you using now?? I like to use air stone as the bubbles break up the surface of the water and look nice too... they are not a requirement though. As for you having a 14" and 6" Clown Knife in a 29g... that is not good, they should be re-homed asap, imo. An 8" Oscar in a 45g tall is not much better... he should be put into that 75g asap.

baji

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2012
Chennai, India
Give away the oscar and those clowns, u have two 55's rite so keep GT in a tank and RD in another tank... cant keep them together due to RD's nature...
Try Silver dollars with them or clown loaches...

Germando

Feeder Fish
Jul 22, 2014
TX
Give away the oscar and those clowns, u have two 55's rite so keep GT in a tank and RD in another tank... cant keep them together due to RD's nature...
Try Silver dollars with them or clown loaches...
I have 2 55's and a 75 now all in start up.

i currently use the filters that go on the back of the tank usually penguin bio wheels or marineland. Usually I get the filter oversized as well like the 45 has a filter rated for 75 gallons.

I want to re home the knives but I cannot find a place to take them yet that will ensure they get a proper home and not stuck in a 10 gallon tank somewhere. The only place that I have found that will take them is petco. Does anyone know a good lfs in dfw texas ?

so I will put the rd in a 55 until I can make her a bigger tank, oscar in the 75 and get a gt for the other 55.

i have never had clown loaches so I will check them out

thanks
g

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store