will silicone glue plexiglass/acrylic to concrete?

Estefany

Feeder Fish
May 29, 2012
Houston, TX
hey everybody.
i am still in the planning stages of my big build coming up. But ive hit a bump on the road.
the aquarium im going to be building is a BIG one (1065 gallons approx.). It will be 9.5 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 5 feet tall, with a 8'X4' acrylic sheet (3/4 of an inch thick) as a viewing window on both the front and back. Due to the dimentions, and cost (obviously) the whole thing will be made out of concrete...stand, frame, and bracing. It will be a permanent thing in the house lol
Problem is, out of nowhere it occurred to me that i have no freaking idea how i am going to attach the acrylic sheets to the concrete lol:confused:
i just always figured i would use silicone after i water proofed the concrete? but now that its getting closer and closer to actually starting the build, i dont even know if that will even work! what do you guys say? will the silicone adhere?
Also, do i attach the viewing windows before or after i paint pond armor on the concrete? (or what ever waterproofing product i end up using)

thanks in advance:)

castro1212

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2012
metairie louisiana
All I know is depending on what you use to waterproof the concrete the silicone may or may not stick to it. Someone more exp can give you a more certain answer once you have a choice of what you want/consider to use. Sorry if I'm a little unclear I just got off from working from 7:30pm last nite

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Estefany

Feeder Fish
May 29, 2012
Houston, TX
Thanks for your quick reply! Even after working for so long lol
and yeah i understand what you're saying. I actually read another thread from a guy named Todd who built a 2500 gallon concrete aquarium in his basement and i saw that he attached his acrylic to the concrete with silicone after waterproofing. So thats what ill try :)

the waterproofing product im really leaning towards is this 5 gallon concrete sealer i found on ebay. I like the amount and price. I figured i would me able to paint on multiple layers. What do you think?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5-Gallons-U...d thought you might like it! Check it out now!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store