VATF and GATF avoiding current?

Mustardtiger101

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
Canada
I have a 6" VATF and 5" GATF and they seem to be avoiding the main source of current near the bottom of the tank. I always see videos of African tiger fish swimming against the powerheads like a treadmill. But mine seem to stay middle to top where their is not as much current as the bottom. And will only go down to the bottom every once and a while and swim against the current and then go back up to the middle/top. Any body else's ATF avoiding the current too?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Try putting the powerhead more towards the top of the tank. When I had my goliath, it rarely ever ventured towards the bottom and was constantly in the current. Yours might not be swimming in it cuz, like mine, they don't like being at the bottom of the tank

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

KNH

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2005
OH...IO
Neither my vatf or gatf seemed to enjoy the current as well. Extra current is a technique used by some to help keep them busy so they are less skittish.

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
They like steady moving water, not violent rip roaring current. You want to create a thick wall of moving water, like a quickly moving stream; not a thin, violent rush with all of the power heads pointing into the same place. These are riverine fish who can go into the rapids from time to time. They don't live in them.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishes33

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2006
Canada, Toronto
To solve that problem, I used Jebao Rw8. A nice little wave maker that you can control the output speed and it has a wide spread of current! :D

A strong current going the top direction and it create a small back flow in the bottom! So basically a nice circulation of water, and ATF loves that! :D

AND YES! It can make waves in a 6ft tank! :D

1251.jpg

1252.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store