Royal plec in 29g tank?

luggy978

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2014
Burnley, Lancashire, UK
I have an EBJD (1.5") that is going into a 29g tank for a month or two while I set up a 55 or 75. These tend to have quite a slow growth rate and I do want a plec in there with him. Do you think a Royal plec would be a good choice?

Grateful northern lad

One day at a time

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
That would be fine, In the pass I had five 3" EBJD in with my plecos. Royals do great with many cichlids.
Got my royals in with a green terror and geophagus now.

slippery slimecoat

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2012
New York
A royal will work for a long time. They tend to grow approximately 1-2" a year. If you upgrade to a 75 you should be set for many years. Also, just be aware royals can create a tremendous amount of waste from chewing on driftwood that is necessary for their diet.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Adoinc

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2014
Arvada, Colorado
No royal expert here, but I know this goes for any fish when I say look for a full belly. This is especially true in plecos however. Make sure the stomach/ eyes aren't sunken and the coloration is vibrant. Just some general things to look out for.

luggy978

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2014
Burnley, Lancashire, UK
Wahay. Got my royal!! He's about two inch long and looks a beauty. Eyes red as, and not sunk. Bit of a belly on him and lovely spots in his fins and two stripes on his tail! Had him 3 days now and only seen once!! Very happy though :)

Rotaryp04s

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2011
Wahay. Got my royal!! He's about two inch long and looks a beauty. Eyes red as, and not sunk. Bit of a belly on him and lovely spots in his fins and two stripes on his tail! Had him 3 days now and only seen once!! Very happy though :)

That great, (red eyes) must be a L191. Post some pics.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store