Doradidae Species Profiles

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
This is a thread that will give information and care requirements on different species of catfish in the family Doradidae. Anybody can contribute to this thread so long as they know that the information they are giving on the species is correct. I've tried to make a catfish profile thread before but was told it was to broad and I should specify by family so hopefully this thread will have many contributions. Please follow and use these guidelines when creating a profile.

(Picture of the fish)
Scientific Name:
Common Name:
Care Level:
Size:
pH Range and Hardness:
Temperature:
Origin:
Temperament:
Activity Level:
Recommended Tankmates:
Diet:
Tank Size (For Adult):
Description:

Please keep all posts professional, only post profiles and avoid posting unnecessary comments to keep the thread organized.

Thank you!

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
IMG_0600.JPGIMG_0513.JPG

Scientific Name: Platydoras armatulus

Common Name: Striped Raphael Catfish, Striped Talking Catfish, Humbug Catfish

Care Level: Easy

Size: 6-8 in on average but could get to 10-11 in

pH Range and Hardness: 5.5-7.5

Temperature: 74-84 F

Origin: South America- Peru, Columbia, Venezuela, etc

Temperament: Peaceful (towards fish it can't fit in its mouth)

Activity Level: Highly Nocturnal. Some may come out during feeding time but you won't see them swimming about the tank all day.

Recommended Tankmates: The majority of fish it won't fit in its mouth are all good tankmates. Goes well with anything from medium sized tetras to larger and more aggressive cichlids.

Diet: Carnivore. Feed shrimp pellets, bloodworms, brine shrimp, blackworms, insect larvae, small pieces of supermarket shrimp, and small earthworms.

Tank Size (For Adult): 30 Gallon Long. 55 and larger is preferred though. I keep mine in a 75 Gallon.

Description: A beautiful catfish that unfortunately is not seen much during the day due to their nocturnal habits. They get along great with anything from community fish to larger and more aggressive fish. Some may venture out for food during feeding time but be careful to not overfeed because they will eat until they're ready to pop if given the opportunity!

IMG_0513.JPG

IMG_0600.JPG

Monstrous

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2013
Singapore
Name: Megalodoras irwini(used to be called megalodoras uranscopus), giant talking catfish
Care level: moderate
Size: possible to reach 20-30inches in captivity
P.h : 5.5-7.5
Activity level: highly nocturnal, but even then it is highly timid. Its "third eye" helps it to detect the amount of light in the habitat.
Diet: eats fish, shrimp that fits into its mouth, specimens in captivity may eventually accept dried or prepared food. Not uncommon for these fish to starve for days or weeks when in a new environment.
Tankmates: any fish that cannot fit into its mouth. It is possible to have it kept with goonch and tiger fishes, due to its large spikes along the side of its body to deter aggressors, not good ray tankmates for that reason.
Description: keep it in a tank with plenty of shades,a cave will be ideal for it to hide in. Some specimens may be more bold in venturing the tank while others choose to hide away.

*cant load photos in

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
So they have gone back to calling it Megaladoras irwinii? I thought urinoscopus was the current name?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store