aquaclear 110 broken shaft

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
Anyone know if the shaft commonly snaps off on these filters leaving partial shaft stuck in the motor? There is not enough to grab onto the broken piece to pull it out. Looks like my only option is to buy new motors.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If there isn't enough shaft left to use a pair of needle nose pliers to remove it, you can either replace the motor or if you are into DIY projects, you can remove the bottom cover on the motor, and drill through the bottom and push the broken shaft out.

I used this method on my AC110 filter with excellent results. You will just need to use a drill bit that is smaller in diameter than the shaft and then plug the hole with a dab of epoxy. I actually used 100% silicone with good results but it did need to be replaced after a few months with epoxy.

The reason the shaft probably broke is because it became worn over time, causing it to snap off.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
If it works for you, don't forget to order a new impeller when you order the shaft because the old impeller orifice is probably elongated from rotating on the old worn shaft.

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
I decided to order new motor w/shaft and a new impeller. Anyone experience problem where impeller is spinning and looks like a vortex inside the intake tube but it's isn't drawing the water like it's supposed to . The water flow control lever on intake "U" tube is at maximum position and clicked in. I've have used aquaclear 110, 70 for a greater 10yrs. now and never experienced this.

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
Is that with the filter box filled with water? Maybe the cover that goes over the impeller to control water flow is not seated correctly. Depending on what caused your shaft to break in the first place, maybe something got sucked up into the filter and caused more damage then you thought.

I31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2007
omni
Shaft broke due to wear and tear and since it's a new motor it's impossible that broken shaft causing problem,the rest of the parts is a plastic container and tube. Anyone know whether impeller for powerhead is same as filter? Maybe packaging gave me wrong type of impeller?

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
The impeller part # is A-638 & I do think it is also used on one of the PH models.

Just for the heck of it, unplug the filter and nudge the impeller with a skewer clockwise, plug it back in and try again.

There should be a gray plate above the impeller that the intake tube engages. Is it missing or not installed correctly?

sabmakj21

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2014
Hawaii
Shaft broke due to wear and tear and since it's a new motor it's impossible that broken shaft causing problem,the rest of the parts is a plastic container and tube. Anyone know whether impeller for powerhead is same as filter? Maybe packaging gave me wrong type of impeller?
You do have the cover that goes over the impeller right? That is where the intake tube will seat itself and that's what focuses the pulling of water from the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store