Cheapest way to light a 125 gallon tank?

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Hello all.
I am in the planing stages of building my 125 gallon tank canopy. I was wondering the cheapest lights I could use in the canopy that will be able to grow plants still. Any and all ideas welcome thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Window

Sent from my SCH-S960L using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Windows not an option and I really am not picky about what plants really I just love the look of a planted aquarium. I have South/Central American cichlids in the tank. I know they usually uproot plants but mine don't bother any of the plants I currently have.(Amazon swords) and some other that I don't know what they are.

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
Your typical fluorescent shop light will work for most of the easier plants. Especially if you get the proper bulbs for it. But fixture wise you can't beat them for $20

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Just one shop light 48" with two tubes? Is there any way to customize these light fixtures to stager the bulbs. Would just the two tubes be enough or 4 or?

Vanica

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2014
Alberta, Canada
2 will be fine for anubias and whatnot. Like
psy said. But I stick to the beginner plants so I'm not sure about others

Dam ok

Exodon
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2014
Denver
Ok I found a t5 fixture that holds 4 bulbs on my local craigslist. How high from the water can I put these. My canopy top will be 8-9" above water level. If I mount them to the top of the canopy would that be ok

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Shop lights are cheep to buy but expensive when it comes to electricity. It uses more electricity than an led fixture would. Your best bet would be to invest in some high quality LEDs they are more energy efficient and are easer on the electric bill in the long run. Yes they cost a lot to buy at first but in my eyes the cost to run the shop lights for a month or two would already add up to the price that it would be to get LEDs from the getgo and LEDs are very energy efficient.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store