Discus; full color at small size

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
A recent shop visit revealed a tank full of 50 cent size discus of a number of varieties (Snakeskin, Red Dragon, Red Diamond, etc) all showing full adult patterns already. Is this definitely hormones or have things changed over the years?

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Hormones for sure, unless they were just extremely stunted fish. I don't think I've ever seen one that size with full color, even with hormones.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
I'd be interested in seeing pics next time you go. 50cent size is crazy small for full colors & small for stunted fish too for that matter.

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Hormoes. You see it in a lot of Central and SA cichlids...even Africans...

luvinbluegills

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2011
Pgh PA
I finally got back to the shop...several of the varieties were sold out, but here are what remains. They're about the size of a silver dollar.
Discus 2.jpgDiscus 1.jpg

Discus 2.jpg

Discus 1.jpg

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Looks like they are hormoned...shouldn't have that much color and pattern at half dollar size. Besides, they look thin, stunted, and have a lot of peppering. I wouldn't touch those. They could be sterile, aggessive, or both if too much hormones

Sent while on the go...

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Hormones maybe, but I think we're just looking at poorly cared for & stunted discus. The eye to body size ratio is a dead giveaway on them being stunted. You can also tell from the amount of pepper on them that they're genetically poor. I'm thinking they are either Pigeon Blood discus or the spawn of a discouraged pairing of a PB to a non-PB fish.

Regardless of what's going on with these fish, this is a textbook example of discus not to purchase & if your LFS carries discus like this, never consider buying discus from them. Check out the sponsors on Simply Discus if you're looking to buy quality fish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store