Looking for a little perspective

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So for the last few years, I've been a diehard SA cichlid guy who has dealt almost exclusively with nothing but peaceful (or at most mildly aggressive) cichlids.

I've gone through several tank swaps. Started out with a 20 high, added a couple 55s, sold the 55s in order to graduate to a 125, then sold everything to build a rack with four 20 longs on top and a pair of 55s down below because I was certain I wanted to breed cichlids. Come to find out, my heart just wasn't really in it. So I got rid of the rack and got another 125, which is the only tank I currently have (I know, sad days).

I've also gone through a LOT of cichlids. More than I care to mention, to be honest. I did all my research and made sure every fish I kept was given a proper home, but eventually I would get bored with them and move them out to get something else. Most of what I've had have been slow growing babies or juvies, which could be part of my problem.

Anyways, I'm narrowing my stock down to just a few cichlids and I'm having this internal struggle that is all too familiar. I only have 7 small cichlids ranging from 2-4" in the 125 and find myself being suddenly attracted to the Vieja/former Vieja genus since it would be pretty easy to rehome my remaining stock and start fresh.

I think the thing that attracts me to the Vieja the most (besides their beautiful color) is their more personable nature (or so I've read). With all the pets I have (I practically live in a petting zoo), I'm most attracted to the creatures that are personable and don't shy away from me when I approach (something all my SAs do). I love the idea of a community tank where I don't have to worry about one fish ripping eyes out of other fish or killing them, but I also want fish that will "beg" or "greet" me when I come by, not run and hide to wait until I have stopped moving or left to come back out.

What are your thoughts on my dilemma?

What are the pros and cons of SAs compared with CAs?

Would I be better off just keeping a single, large Vieja in a 75-100 gallon tank to avoid aggression or is a community tank possible with a Vieja and other fish in a 125?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
stay sa and go oscar and acaras if you want personable imo. if you go veija i would do a lone argentia

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
stay sa and go oscar and acaras if you want personable imo. if you go veija i would do a lone argentia
I might be able to unbury a 75 I have laying around and set it up for fish again if I can get some equipment for a good price without breaking the bank. A guy in my local fish club is rehoming a really nice 5" zonatus and I will take it if I can give it a good home. Might be a good chance to see how I really like a larger, more personable and aggressive CA.

Funny you mention acaras. I have two Aequidens sp. 'Jenaro Herrera' growing out in the 125. There is also a notatus severum and four Guianacara in there as well.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
Well if you decide to rehome the Severus notatus, let me know! I have been looking for one! What kind of Guinacara do you have? I have alonely one in my tank.

I will second the acara and Oscar idea. I ordered a Astronotus Crassipinnis (rare, smaller cousin of the normal Oscar) from Wetspot, and he is so fun. He was eating from my fingers within a couple days. My plain old blue Acara is also one of my faves for personality. But... I will say, I just recently got a 6in+ pair of Synspilum, and they are gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. They are still a little jumpy because of being newer, but they are starting to come around and come to the front of the tank to look at me. IME so far they are also extremely passive for cichlids. I think you could keep synspilum (a female at least, male might get a bit too big) in a 125, maybe with some smaller fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Most Vieja (Paraneetroplus) types need lots of space.
A single specimen in a 75 might work, and with patience become quite dog like.
But in that small space, aggression would become an issue with more than one.
Even in a 125 luck would need to go your way, to avoid aggression.
In a 150 gal I've had zonatus, argentea and regani pin larger managuense and dovii in corners.
Don't get me wrong, Vieja are some of my favorites, and some of the most beautiful, but space is the key, or they become sociopaths. The only way I'd try to keep more than one species together as adults, would be in a minimum, 300gal.
some I've kept.
argentea

bifasciata

breidhori

regani

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Here's one of my favorite on YT that I'm hoping to one day replicate.
[video=youtube;Z5qhft3pBSk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5qhft3pBSk[/video]

dlp40

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2007
hopewell,va
For me I've always been in your dilemma. I always want something new to me that I find interesting. Then I get bored and switch out to the next best thing around. So, speaking from 20 yrs experience, do what makes you feel like your getting the most out of your hobby. SA not doing it for ya, get some synos or the zontum, just know the 125 will have to be theirs eventually. I offer this, get the 75 setup, take your time, and once it's running decide what you would like to do with it. I'd put a few of my favoriteSA in the 75 and go for a bruiser in the 125.
Good luck

Quo Vadis

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2014
Wisconsin
To be clear, I was suggesting that you could do one of the most/more peaceful Vieja species as a show specimen in the 125, and then stock some smaller, slightly milder CA cichlid "dithers". I think some of the Cryptoheros species would do well, but there is also the Thorichthys group, Astheros, Archocentarchus, Nics, Rainbows...

Ripdevil

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2005
DMV
you posted the breeding setup on Craigslist right? I have been wanting that!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store