RIP smaller Mbu

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
I came home from work and ran downstairs to feed my fish. My smaller Mbu was not swimming frantically back and forth in his tank to greet me like usual. He was upside down on the bottom of the tank, still alive -- barely. He had one side slightly bloated out more than another, that was pointed upwards. I held him under the air stone and swished him back and forth for 30 minutes. I tried to burp him many times to no avail. I don't think it was air. He was so lifeless I don't even know when he died during the whole process. I have no idea what killed him or caused that very small lump on his side. He looked immaculate otherwise. I sliced him open to see if there was a chunk of shell or anything like that, that had got lodged in him but I couldn't see anything wrong at all. Nothing inflamed or off color. He was completely fine last night when I fell asleep. I watched him as I fell asleep every night (he's at the foot of my bed).

They are insanely tough skinned. A scalpel was very difficult to slice him with due to how much skin they have, and thick the skin was. Their skin is maybe the softest and smoothest thing I've ever touched. Not even very slimey or smelly after touching compared to most fish.

He was easily my favorite fish of all time and I don't think anything will ever replace him. He had a much "friendlier" personality than the larger one I own. Words can't describe how hard that was watching him die not knowing what to do. I haven't been this sad in a very long time.

Does anyone know what may have been the cause of death? He's never shown any signs of being sick or anything of the sort. He's fed mostly mussels, shrimp about once a week, and occasionally bits of other seafood if someone is eating that for dinner. I tested his water and everything came back 0's across the board with < 5ppm nitrates. I really don't want whatever happened to this one happen to my other one. I would be devastated. Any ideas?

phreeflow

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 19, 2007
SoCal
Yeah I had this happen to my Mbu and Fahaka as well. Puffers are some of my favorite freshwater fish and I was devastated when my mbu died the same way. The only difference was that mine didn't even have a lump on the side like yours did, mine looked totally fine. There were no scratches, wounds, spots, fungus, slime, anything. It was completely healthy, active, and eating well and suddenly he was upside down the next day. I thought he might've gotten a piece of crab leg stuck in his throat or something and just let it go as a freak accident. A Year later I got a nice Fahaka baby and grew it out to about 7 inches and he was superhealthy as well but died the same way. Odd...I never did figure it out as water params were great. Let me know if you figure it out...

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

vincentwugwg

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2013
New York Mets
Might have been bad shrimp/seafood! Don't ever feed peeled frozen shrimp, if you must... rinse thoroughly before feeling. I recently lost a very rare puffer (Tetraodon Duboisi) because I got lazy and didn't rinse my frozen shrimp. I almost lost both my Duboisis but the larger one was able to pull out of it.

Psylant

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Canada
Might have been bad shrimp/seafood! Don't ever feed peeled frozen shrimp, if you must... rinse thoroughly before feeling. I recently lost a very rare puffer (Tetraodon Duboisi) because I got lazy and didn't rinse my frozen shrimp. I almost lost both my Duboisis but the larger one was able to pull out of it.
You might be right. None of my other fish were affected and they eat the same things though!

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Why would rinsing shrimp make it safe? That doesn't make sense to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store