Need help finding a wet pet

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So I think I have settled on getting a more personable cichlid than what I have kept in the past. Up until recently, I've strictly been a keeper of peaceful SA cichlids (earth eaters, severums, some acaras, etc), but I'm looking for something that greets me when I come up, not ignores me or runs and hides until I'm gone or sitting still.

Some people have made recommendations so far, but I'm a little picky on what I want my fish to look like. I'm not a fan of oscars (I just don't have any interest) and I don't want anything with a serious nuchal hump (nothing that looks like it's growing a tumor or an entire other head on its head). And I would also like for it to have a decent amount of color to it (blues and purples are my favorite).

I was thinking about Vieja (zonatus or regani) or Astatheros. Possibly a pair of stalsbergi (but the male getting a severe nuchal hump would be a killer for me).

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ehh

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2013
New Mexico
What about a green terror? If you have it alone it probably won't grow a nuchal hump.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ichthusfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2011
southkorea,seoul/Texas
Want a cichlid that comes and greets you? And has nice color? Just get a dozen malawi, they beg for food when you come near and has very extraordinary colors

Sent from my SHV-E300K using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Cichlidss

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 22, 2014
Western Cape, South Africa
There are many apistogramma to choose from.. Although they can be a bit shy! But have beautiful colors
Im suprised you have ruled out Oscars as if you looking for a fish that will greet you he is the one :)
Otherwise have you checked blue acaras or yellow acaras out.. they are always busy and have great color.

JesseDavidson

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Brisbane, Australia
A Midas or a flowerhorn are very great wet pets and have great personality
also they are quite pretty fish and in my experience love to be petted and played with if raised right

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
What about a jaguar cichlid ? No big hump , greets you , certainly won't hide once past 6" mark
Or alternatives
Green terror , Midas , umbee , butti talapia , dovii , Mayan , festae , Texas

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
What about a texas or pearsi, both make great wet pets... also ebjd or ebba.... a nice jag like evz says can be a sight once at 14-15 inch they are monsters, some have some great blues too... dovii x jag or a number of nice hybrids could fit the bill too. Or male festae!?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Crazy mike

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2012
Vacaville,California
Sorry, I forgot to include that this wet pet would need to fit in a 125 at adulthood, so I know that eliminates several of the very large species.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
A single male managuense would fit what your looking for, personable once they get past 6, no nuchal hump, and would fit in a 125

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Reactions: Zanzag
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store