GFCI Which One Should Be Used?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

Just curious as I browse looking for GFCI. Ive been researching and finding out that the biggest issue with these that they are sometimes too sensitive, which makes me fear that one night just when I go to bed it will shut down the entire power supply...than 8 hours later I wake up to floating fish. Im not too familiar with GFCI but Im pretty sure its job is to sense a stray voltage than shut down the power supply. Anyone have any input, or experience with these as I never used it and now with the larger tank I plan on trying too.

Also would a grounding probe still be needed or the GFCI is all that one would need?

OR

Should I just change the outlet entirely and get outlets that are GFCI?

Like these http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=gfci+outlet

Also any other precaution equipment that hold be bought for a tank set up?

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
Ive got 2 gfi outlets. one in wall, the other like this (not sure if the brand is the same, but they look the same) and in 10 years I've never had either accidentally just trip.
my problem with the linked one is when the power goes out, it will sometimes trip when the power comes back on.

these are good safety devices

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Ive got 2 gfi outlets. one in wall, the other like this (not sure if the brand is the same, but they look the same) and in 10 years I've never had either accidentally just trip.
my problem with the linked one is when the power goes out, it will sometimes trip when the power comes back on.

these are good safety devices
That is common for those gfis, never seen one that doesn't trip when power is lost.

Gfis work by monitoring that the current on the neutral is the same as the current on the hot, not the voltage. I don't use the on my tanks but they're a good idea if you're not used to working with electricity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store