Monster 500 gallon setup

Wizzah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2013
Australia
Hey guys im getting close to ordering my tank, but before I do I had some questions I need asking, its 10ft x 3ft x 2.5ft high, im gonna be running a silver arowana a few peacock bass and a 5 or so clown loaches, and maybe a oscar or 2, getting them all as juvies, now I have never owned a tank this big, and I have no idea on how much filtration I need, I was thinking a 4ft sump with a fluval fx6 and and a fluval 405, will this cover it? And never built a sump before but been researching it like Crazy, I don't wanna drill the tank, any tips? Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
I think a huge sump is what you need. With filter socks, k1 moving bed filter, return pump and water changes.

Some members with large tanks should chime in soon.

Also they sell overflow boxes to prevent drilling of the tank or you can DIY it with pvc pipes

Dieselhybrid

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 31, 2010
Here
Drip, drip, drip

Sent from my SM-N900T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Wizzah

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2013
Australia
The thing is with a huge sump is that where i am, (Tasmania, Australia) getting a tank any bigger then 4 foot or so will cost me $$$$$$$, that's why i was hoping for a mix of sump / mechanical.

Ian21777

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2012
England
Can you source big plastic containers? Rubber maid type things? Nothing says you have to have a glass tank for a sump...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

stempy

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2011
Galloway, OH
Look up some DIY sumps, you can use just about anything that holds water. Just have to use your imagination and you can make anything happen. I used sterilite 5 drawer towers filled with biomedia sitting in a rubbermaid 100 gallon tub on my 500 as the sole filter and it has worked beautifully. The top 2 drawers have the bottoms drilled as a drip plate and I lined it with a 50 micron filter pad I bought off Ebay as my mech filtration and the bottom 3 drawers are filled with packing peanuts and broken up lava rock you buy from landscaping companies. All in all less than $150 for a huge sump filter :)

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
Hey guys im getting close to ordering my tank, but before I do I had some questions I need asking, its 10ft x 3ft x 2.5ft high, im gonna be running a silver arowana a few peacock bass and a 5 or so clown loaches, and maybe a oscar or 2, getting them all as juvies, now I have never owned a tank this big, and I have no idea on how much filtration I need, I was thinking a 4ft sump with a fluval fx6 and and a fluval 405, will this cover it? And never built a sump before but been researching it like Crazy, I don't wanna drill the tank, any tips? Thanks!

Sent from my GT-I9305T using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Plan out your filtration before you order your tank. Consider external overflow boxes instead of internal overflow boxes. If you're going with canister filters and a sump, how are you going to plumb the canisters? Have the tank builder put in any additional holes that you might need for filtration. (I had eleven holes drilled in the top of our tank to accommodate our mechanical filtration).

The tank builder can make the tank exactly to your specifications.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store