4 inch spotted gar diet?

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
I bought a spotted gar at the same time as my albino SH, a little longer but absurdly skinny.

I've been feeding the SH bloodworm etc and very small cockles, the gar doesn't appear to have eaten, what should I be feeding it?

JR

aapl76

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
新加坡/Singapore
rumblesushi said:
I bought a spotted gar at the same time as my albino SH, a little longer but absurdly skinny.

I've been feeding the SH bloodworm etc and very small cockles, the gar doesn't appear to have eaten, what should I be feeding it?

JR
you can try feeding her with Market prawn. just have to cut it to bite size for your gar. just drop the market prawn directly next to your gar. if it failed, repeat the whole course over and over again. :)

AmazonPredator

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
Oklahoma
If nothing else try freeze-dried bloodworms or small gambusia, which can be caught in most local creeks and bred easily. I started out many a baby gar on frozen bloodworms, though...

guppy

Small Squiggly Thing
Apr 15, 2005
confused, lost, and lonely
First ask the lfs what they were feeding it and if it was eating, sometimes it takes a couple/few days for fish to settle in. If that doesn't work remember that gar are motion sensitive predators and try to trigger a feeding response with 1/2 grown guppies, live crickets, or better yet mysid shrimp, once it is feeding wean it to other foods. I don't know about gar but this works with hujeta, cachorro, pike topminnows, and phagos.

rumblesushi

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2005
ENGLAND
thanks for the advice, I'll try some more stuff. And I'll buy some small like shrimps tomorrow.

I hope the gar is oke. The albino SH has setlled in fine. He's active and eating a lot. The gar is not eating and mainly sitting on the bottom, occasionally floating at the top.

zhuangsw

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2005
ya, get live feeders for it now, like live guppies, platies and ghost shrimps.

pump it up and let it stabalize now before you train it to eat frozen market prawns or pellets.

they are carnivour fishes and love meaty stuff!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store