Very Odd Striped Raph

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I've had my striped raphael since last September. When he used to be in my 30 tall he'd eat shrimp pellets, algae wafers, frozen and live brine shrimp, and bloodworms. Ever since I put him in my 75 (mane got him to eat for those who remember my threads about that) he only eats shrimp pellets and algae wafers. He refuses to touch anything frozen or live no matter how many times I offer! Now I know he could live on just pellets and wafers but that isn't as much fat and protein as I want him to get. I'd like him to start growing as fast as he can (for a raph) and grow him to as big as he can possibly get! The reason for this is because he is soon getting a new predatory tankmate that's currently in quarantine (a 4" yellow bullhead) and although I doubt a bullhead would try to eat a raph until it would get to at least 7 or 8" and even then probably wouldn't because of their spines I don't want to risk anything. So how can I get him to eat other things?

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
Have you tryed mosquito larvae or Artemia?
How about frozen shrimp? Mine eat everything, but i have not observed them eat algea wafers.
Maybe try to cut the shrimp into small pieces, see if that will help?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
Have you tryed mosquito larvae or Artemia?
How about frozen shrimp? Mine eat everything, but i have not observed them eat algea wafers.
Maybe try to cut the shrimp into small pieces, see if that will help?
I've tried frozen shrimp and he just ignores it. He used to eat Artemia but not anymore. Don't know where to get mosquito larvae since my parents won't let me breed them.

Karl K

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2014
Denmark
I've tried frozen shrimp and he just ignores it. He used to eat Artemia but not anymore. Don't know where to get mosquito larvae since my parents won't let me breed them.
I buy them in my lfs.
Have you tryed to cut the shrimp into small pieces?
Have you tryed earthworm, or another kind of worm?

divemaster99

Dovii
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2014
Pittsburgh, PA
I buy them in my lfs.
Have you tryed to cut the shrimp into small pieces?
Have you tryed earthworm, or another kind of worm?
Cool lfs :). Yeah I've cut it into bite sized pieces and still won't take it, tried worms as well and he's scared of them. Forgot to mention I also tried live black worms and he didn't like them either.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
He may be picky because he is spoiled / offered too much variety too often. Raphs are usually vacuum cleaners - any and all foods are taken with gusto.

Divinehammer

Gambusia
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2012
Sherwood park Alberta Canada
I would agree, stick to feeding one thing, he will not starve, he will eventually start to eating anything offered as food.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store