My new gar has bent back

Pred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2014
Ca
Hello, this is my first post on here. I just got a 4" florida gar 2 days ago, he seems very healthy and has a good appetite. I didn't think much of it till now but his back is curved, it curved right at the very end of his back near is last 2 fins and tail fin. He still hunts but I can tell it's affecting him. He chills at the top of the water now... Been like this for a day now. This really sucks... I love gars and it took me for ever to even get one in a tank. Mainly I'm worried that he's going to die. Is there anything I can do to help him? By the way the tank is a standard 20gal. (Plan on throwing him in a 150 when he big enough).

DrowningFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2014
In a plastic castle
He's going to survive, but his spine will likely stay that way for the rest of his life. Make sure there's no swim bladder infection, as that can cause much more serious deformities. From your description this doesn't seem to be the case, but it won't hurt to make sure. Good luck.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
post a pic? could be the result of bad water conditions. so test your water too. any tankmates?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store