Hikari Carnivore Pellets vs Cichlid Sinking Gold

swrdply400mrelay

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
Texas
This post is more of an FYI.

I always wondered why the Carnivore Pellets were much more expensive than the Cichlid Sinking Gold, about 2-3 times more by weight. A Google search didn't yield much info, nor did a search of Hikari's parent and USA website.

I wondered if the ingredients were the cause of price difference, but it didn't seem to be the case.

Looking at nutrition info, didn't seem to be the case as Carnivore had a slightly increased protein content than Sinking Gold, 47% vs 40%.

Fat content of CP was slightly less than SG, 5% vs 7%.

The difference in nutritional content didn't seem like the culprit either. I began to wonder if it was the manufacturing process, so I emailed Hikari and suspicions confirmed:

"Thank you for taking the time to contact us and for your support of our products. The Sinking Carnivore Pellet is a completely different type of pellet in that is takes on the texture of a live food when put in water
and becomes pancake-like in consistency. This requires a completely
different producting [sic] method than the Sinking Cichlid Gold.
The Hikari Customer Service Team"

How this affects my feedings is that I will probably increase my SG:CP feed ratio as my polys are not picky at all when it comes to chow, and can save a bit of money.

Also CP cloud up the water much faster than SG, especially noticed when my Poly's chomp on them.

Askaleymanfish

Aimara
MFK Member
May 15, 2014
Danville Virginia
I prefer the massivore hickory because it makes the fish grow like crazy my baby endli was 2" when I bought him had him for 2 months he is now 4" and has at least triples in body weight
Also have had a delhezi for 2 years
And was 6" and skinny
Been feeding massivore for 2 months and the del has doubled in body weight and grown a inch witch is a lot since he only grew to 6" in 2 years

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Shopko

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2007
Virginia
Thanks for this thread. I will not change my feed, but it is nice to know I have options when I run out of Massavore and its on back order ant my LFS. This has happened to me once already.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
I use newlife spectrum cichlid.

I really like this food, haven't seen or used something comparable in western Canada. Most pellets sink, so the bichirs go to town, and the last floating ones are picked off by a bichir that prefers to hunt topside. He also is more of a swimmer, way less lazy than the other, so good for him. :)

edit: also it's pretty expensive. 25 dollars a shot but these things last me about 8 months so I can really live with it if all the fish are doing good on it!

pancakes

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2016
Paradise
4 years later... so is the consensus between:

hikari carnivore sinking pellets at $61

vs.

hikari cichlid gold sinking for $21 because...

TexasMFK31

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2017
Reviving a dead thread, but I can comment on. The bichirs love the Massivore more so than the Cichlid Gold. The thing I like about the Gold is I do not have to crush it up so the smaller bichirs can eat it like I do massivore. But, when Massivore is in the tank, the bigger bichirs come out much quicker.

Reactions: Matteus
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store